Voiceover Replacing Problem

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Voiceover Replacing Problem

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:02 pm

I have just started to adding some additional voiceovers into UA since I felt like some units are having wrongly arranged/unfitting voices while some others shares same voices due to lacking sound materials. So I decided to get few from the another game with nice voiceovers.

Then I have extracted all the useful voice files from the another game, and converted them via ogg converter in order to change the files to .wav format since the original files were written in .ogg format, and replaced them with corresponding speech files in UA sound folder.

But instead of anew voice sound there was just a full of immensly high-pitched noisy signal distorting sound. All of replaced files were resulted in same condition. The sound files are not corrupted nor broken, these are directly taken from the another game in good status and individual files are working flawlessly when played.

However, I have searched through forum archive and finally was able to get some reasonable clue.
According to this topic(viewtopic.php?f=23&t=214)it says the pitch must be set below the limit of 22050kHz and 8bit. So this time I converted the files exactly at those degree.

The result is apparently now the actual voice quotes are vaguely coming out. But the another problem is they are ridiculously low-pitched and its almost impossible to hear. I have already tested with a bit lower value but outcome has no significant difference, while higher value comes with that high-pitched noisy sound again.

Any help? If someone can point me out what is a problem then it would be much appreciated.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Voiceover Replacing Problem

Post by Ormu » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 pm

The original files seem to be 11025Hz, 8bit and mono (stereo may or may not work :p). Have you tried those values?

Btw, have you tried to add completely new voiceover sets? The original set identifiers for unit voiceover groups are A, B, 1...9 but are they hard-coded or is the game able to use new sets as well?
Attachments
uasound.png
UA voiceover file info
uasound.png (39.78 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:11 pm

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote: immensly high-pitched noisy signal distorting sound. .......

now ....... the another problem is they are ridiculously low-pitched
The first distortion is due to bit-rate mismatch and the second distortion is due to sample-rate mismatch.

Let us know how changing to the 8bit 11.025 Khz sample rate works @ 8 bits per sample

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:30 pm

First I apologize about the late answer. I was quite busy in recent days.

Second I'd like to say that I'm very grateful for both Ormu and GoldStar about the accurately indicating the problematic factors
and also providing the most precise answers for the issue.

It works! The former conversion setting I had was 22,050kHz/8-bit/Stereo and after reading the answer I tried with 11,025kHz/8-bit/Mono now it magically works. I have decided to do something more with it and here is result, which could be helpful at UA sound conversion later.

Stereo caused low-pitched voice. Thus sound files are must be set to Mono.
Sound file with higher rate than 8-bit sample will cause high-pitch distortion sound. (16-bit)
UA can acknowledge far more than 11,025kHz. Even higher like 24,000kHz. But beyond of it(32,000kHz)
you can hear long empty sound after the voice. But the voice itself is still not distorted.

So basically the main problem was existed at between 'Mono' and 'Stereo'. Again, thanks very much.
Ormu wrote:Btw, have you tried to add completely new voiceover sets? The original set identifiers for unit voiceover groups are A, B, 1...9 but are they hard-coded or is the game able to use new sets as well?
I tried with a completely new voice type 'C' by adding it into unit script for Evilfurz. At first, I tested it with no attached voice files at C. Result was the unit has completely no voice, but everything was fine as game does not crash(when issue an order to unit) and every other things worked normally.

After that I had a test with newly implemented voice files into C such as 1C111 or 1C262, and the corresponding voices were came out in very good condition without any problem. Additionally I did exactly same thing with 'D' and it worked out well too.

So it seems like this voice part is not that strictly hard-coded with only certain alphabetical/numerical parameter avilable on it. It is possible to make a new voiceover groups as well. But if there is no allocated value for unit voice type then the game itself will force the unit to use 'B' type(generic) voice.

P.S: It seems the name of speech files must be set to five-digit in order to represent their classification and character.
I did some quick observation on them and here is what they are about.

(First Digit)
1: Male voice(Every type of vehicle/unit voice. Such as tanks, helis, jets and robotic voices.)
2: Female voice(Dedicated to Host Station voice. General quotes spoken from the Host Station including Multiplayer part.)
3: Tutorial voice(Additional Host Station voice files used for event_loop function. Quotes used in tutorial guide.)
4: ??(The only file starts with 4 is 41111 and it is nothing special.)

(Second Digit)
This part calculates what sound file will be applied into which vehicle voice type(A, B, 1...9) and the voice type is directly taken from the unit script.

(Third Digit)
Subordinate to Second digit, this is to be related with Fourth digit as well. Defines which voices will be spoken from the unit at certain situation.(Online, Engage, Retreat, Repair... etc) Will be updated later with detail.

(Fourth Digit)
Subordinate to Second digit, similar(related or identical) to Third digit. These parts needs some more qualification and experimental evidence. Might look at it further later.

(Fifth Digit)
Alternate voice(variation) type. By far the maximum usage is 2, but don't know about the limit. Need some test with it.

Only exceptions are Multiplayer taunt files. (91...99 ; 910...919)
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Nice! The modularity of UA still surprises me... :D
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...