Idea for a UA Mod tool

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Idea for a UA Mod tool

Post by Xyneline » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:27 am

(I hope this is in the right topic board)

When thinking about how to make modding easier for UA, of course a level editor with graphical user interface comes to mind. But, what about an application that can show you the branches and sequences of campaign levels visually? The application could also allow the user to disconnect/connect pathways from level to level to easily create and reorganize a mod's campaign progression, as opposed to going through each individual text file and editing the target_level value itself.

I think it would look like this:
-Each level is a node on the campaign "tree"
-Each pathway connecting one level to another is a line
-Each node has just one input for pathways of levels that lead to the current level node
-Each node can have multiple output sockets. Each socket would represent a beam gate
-If one beam gate leads to multiple levels, one output socket would output multiple pathways
-If multiple beam gates each lead to separate levels, multiple sockets have respective lines to different levels

If anyone has used Blender, an open source 3D software, with the node editor before, that's what I imagine the visual design would look like.

I can't make this now because of lack of programming skill, but does anyone have any suggestions, questions, or ideas for an application like this?

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Idea for a UA Mod tool

Post by Ormu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:45 am

The idea is good, but I think perceiving the level branches is not the hardest thing in level making. I think the biggest challenge is the typ_map creation without any visual feedback of the process, and that's what I'm looking at now. I don't have very much programming experience either but let's see what happens in the future...
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Thomas Fredson
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Post by Thomas Fredson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Yep, it could be an interesting tool for Solo campaigns editing.

PS: I moved your topic to an appropriate place.
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)

Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by Xyneline » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:22 am

Thomas Fredson wrote:Yep, it could be an interesting tool for Solo campaigns editing.

PS: I moved your topic to an appropriate place.
Thanks, I should've figured it went here.

I know this isn't the most practical tool UA modders could use, but it's simple enough I could program it, just not the visual part. I don't know any GUI programming, but I'm taking an OOP C++ class now that might touch on some of the basics. We'll see!

There's an application to produce a typ_map from pictures placed on sectors somewhere in the forums. And I think there's some sort of simple level editor/random level generator... I wish there were a comprehensive level editor, that could edit the typ_map visually, and different layers to place units, host stations, buildings, sector ownership, heights of the ground, etc. all in one program.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Xyneline wrote:
There's an application to produce a typ_map from pictures placed on sectors somewhere in the forums. And I think there's some sort of simple level editor/random level generator... I wish there were a comprehensive level editor, that could edit the typ_map visually, and different layers to place units, host stations, buildings, sector ownership, heights of the ground, etc. all in one program.
AOE_Danny's Random Level Generator works fine, but as the name implies, it only generates random maps.

There are two graphical editors - TypMap designer and Level Compiler but they are incomplete and somewhat buggy.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Well I can basically create the maps out of my mind, I know what is random stuff withotu roads
then what are flak sectors pweorstation etc
And I know most road for the typ map so I have gotten basically most things in my mind and they look like I imagine.

BTT: The branch thing is nice and I would actually like to see it.
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:31 am

Xyneline wrote:(I hope this is in the right topic board)

When thinking about how to make modding easier for UA, of course a level editor with graphical user interface comes to mind. But, what about an application that can show you the branches and sequences of campaign levels visually? The application could also allow the user to disconnect/connect pathways from level to level to easily create and reorganize a mod's campaign progression, as opposed to going through each individual text file and editing the target_level value itself.

I think it would look like this:
-Each level is a node on the campaign "tree"
-Each pathway connecting one level to another is a line
-Each node has just one input for pathways of levels that lead to the current level node
-Each node can have multiple output sockets. Each socket would represent a beam gate
-If one beam gate leads to multiple levels, one output socket would output multiple pathways
-If multiple beam gates each lead to separate levels, multiple sockets have respective lines to different levels

If anyone has used Blender, an open source 3D software, with the node editor before, that's what I imagine the visual design would look like.

I can't make this now because of lack of programming skill, but does anyone have any suggestions, questions, or ideas for an application like this?
Something like UApathwaymanipulator (just one name suggestion) or something like that. I do like your idea, although I won't be able to do a tool for that, since I'm finding out more bugs, lags, and glitches on active Urban Assault multiplayers I play with others using Gameranger.

Although I can also do and edit custom maps without trouble, configuring their pathways manually and that. But don't give in, your idea is good, just show us some betas from that, and in a future this full version level editor will be a reality. ;)
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens