ILBM files?

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: ILBM files?

Post by Ormu » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:05 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:And here is what our end goal is.

*IMGs*

It would actually be really simple to write a program to take the BMP data and overwrite the BAS file. I will make that my next goal for next week, so we can all play with this :)
Now that's interesting! Soon modders should be able to make custom vehicle models. :ninja:
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:47 am

Lets start out with custom textures first. I am working on a very dodgy texture replacer program.
1) select bas file to edit
2) select ILBM file
3) select an ILBM file from a list box (not implemented yet. I am seriously considering a listbox with a predefined list of ILBM files)
4) rewrite the BAS file.

Hey while I was going through the BAS file manually, I noticed that you dont have all the ILBM files in the ZIPs you posted. (MACHT SCHROTT HYPE FX2 TAERROBO MTL SHRTTWND ROBONEU) Did those get extracted by my program?

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:51 am

I did some investigation into the texture shading as we noticed from the RED/WHITE/BLUE mod I did with the texture editor program I wrote. Here are my findings:

The shading is described in the ATTS section and it goes something like this:
A T T S
00 00 00 36
00 00 00 0B 80 00
00 03 00 64 80 00
00 04 00 6E 80 00
00 05 00 78 80 00
00 06 00 00 80 00
00 08 00 0A 80 00
00 09 00 14 80 00
00 0A 00 3C 80 00
00 0B 00 46 80 00

where 80 00 I *assume* defines the shading method? (I haven't investigated that part)
and 00 03 defines the geometrical face as defined by the POL2 section
and 00 64 defines the shading amount. 00 00 is the least shade (none) and 00 FF is the most shade (black)

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Is there a reason why your extraction tool works only on ILBM files in the SET folders and not on BAS files in OBJECTS (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Urban Assault\DATA\OBJECTS)?
]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... nceUB1.png[/img]

]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... ensUB2.png[/img]

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Strange it is working for me. Try this,

copy the BAS file to the same folder as uaVBMP
Drag and drop the BAS file on top of uaVBMP
NEWSKY1 and NEWSKY2 files should be there

the ilbm files always appear in the same folder as the bas file if you are drag and dropping
Attachments
newskys.png
newskys.png (92.35 KiB) Viewed 1867 times

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:38 pm

I tried that. I also tried downloading the file again and playing with some other files to no avail.

Is there something unique about the files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Urban Assault\DATA\OBJECTS?

Any other ideas?

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Edward Fox wrote:I tried that. I also tried downloading the file again and playing with some other files to no avail.

Is there something unique about the files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Urban Assault\DATA\OBJECTS?

Any other ideas?
EDIT: Nothing, this won't probably help you if the tool works in the SET folders but not in the Objects folder but you can try anyway...

Do you have Windows 7 or Vista (sorry, I've probably asked this previously but I'm just absent-minded...)? If so, you don't have the write permissions to the Program Files folder by default. If you put the extractor there (and run it without administrator privileges), it can't write to that folder. All write calls will be redirected to /Users/*YourUserName*/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/ so the extracted files are probably there... There are many ways to solve this problem but I think the easiest solution is to have the BAS files and the extractor in your home folder or in a dedicated folder which is located in the "root" of the hard disk drive.

The tool works fine for me. Some BAS files (sky files) seem to contain only one image file.

...and now that I'm looking at those sky images they actually seem to be quite neat but due to the low resolution they get badly distorted when the game stretches them to the screen. Some of them look like they were photographs...

PS. GoldStar, the strike through tag ( ) don't seem to work here...

test
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:34 pm

No, I use XP. I do not think that you have ever asked me before.

How frustrating. Perhaps I should try toying around with the files some more.

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:19 am

Ed, if you are on xp try this:
copy a sky BAS file to C:\
copy uavbmp to C:\
open a command prompt

run the commands in the image

CD ..
CD ..
uavbmp xxx.BAS

This will force the output files to C:\ (current directory of the command prompt) I have a feeling your files are going to C:\documents and settings\Your_User_Name
Attachments
vbmp troubleshoot.PNG
vbmp troubleshoot.PNG (77.61 KiB) Viewed 1811 times

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:30 pm

(Apology about the necro-posting, but I don't really think I need to open a new thread for these modding activity.
And still all of related and useful informations are entirely stored on here.) :geek:

I can't believe myself that I've never been into this thread in past... Ok, this is what I ever wanted to know.

So, the actual model formats are virtually stored in each of SET.bas files, and only can be modified via hex-editing, and entire matching keywords to related resources are can be found via locating the data strings in visproto.lst files, right? This is amazing! I'd really like to get involved in this work ASAP. However, I think I need more information about the textures and other things first. I'll come back soon and willing to know more.

P.S : GoldStar, would you mind to fix/re-upload those attached images once again? I can't see anything, It seems broken.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;----------------------------------------------------------

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!