UA on W10

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
Mertjaars
Firefly
Firefly

UA on W10

Post by Mertjaars » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 am

Hello everyone,

I wanted to play this game once again but I'm having issues starting it on W10. Intro movie shows up but I see black screen in menu. Menu probably works because whenever I click, I hear the sounds but still black screen.

I've tried Compatibility options,resolution and color options

Thanks!

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: UA on W10

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello Mertjaars, welcome to the Stoudson Corporation forums!

Running Urban Assault on Windows 10 can be quite troublesome, and it is also contingent upon various hardware/system settings and factors on individual machines. Currently we're trying to gather and organise the comprehensive information about it.

Amongst the numerous instances, the in-game movies are generally reported to cause many serious problems on modern systems including Win 10. If the game shows digital artefacts and graphical glitches after the intro movie, it may be worth trying to disable the in-game movie player:
Open your NUCLEUS.INI configuration file in your Urban Assault directory and set the 'gfx.movie_player' parameter to 'off', then save the file and try to run UA once again.

Please note that by doing so, it will also disable every video in the game (Training videos/Enemy Contact videos etc.) to be played during the gameplay sequences, but so far there has been no successful workaround for this problem without completely disabling the in-game movies.

If the results are not very successful, another method I would like to suggest is using 'UA:Source'; it is an open source reimplementation project of Urban Assault engine developed by the forum member Zidane with many new additional features and improvements.

It is still in a development stage and some functionalities may not be identical to the original UA. However, the majority of undesirable game bugs (such as helicopter glitch) and problems with running UA on modern systems can be flawlessly rectified by playing the game via UA_Source.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Mertjaars
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Mertjaars » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 am

Thank you for your detailed answer Charlotte,

You've been very helpful, I deactivated movie_player as you said, now it works fine.

Thanks to ThomasFredson and MarioSDU, they are the reason I find this forum years ago however I've never had a chance to follow the news in this forum until now. Is there anything you would like to suggest me to enhance my game experience rather than expansion? that would be great I've seen some files but I don't know what they are and have no clue how to install them

Thank you :)

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:07 am

Http://files.metropolisdawn.com is where you can browse a lot of extra community made files.

Almost all files are meant to be placed directly in c:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/Urban Assault

It will require some investigation to get it working correctly. You can ZIP up your "game" folder and restore if you mess up the installation

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Mertjaars wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 am
Thank you for your detailed answer Charlotte,

You've been very helpful, I deactivated movie_player as you said, now it works fine.

Thanks to ThomasFredson and MarioSDU, they are the reason I find this forum years ago however I've never had a chance to follow the news in this forum until now. Is there anything you would like to suggest me to enhance my game experience rather than expansion? that would be great I've seen some files but I don't know what they are and have no clue how to install them

Thank you :)
Thank you for the kind words Mertjaars, and I sincerely apologise about the delayed reply; I have been very busy with my academic schedules this week... :oops:

It is somewhat precarious for me to make a conclusive suggestion, but feel free to look around at various topics on the forums and I also highly recommend checking our Metropolis Dawn FTP server where the uploaded contents are available for download.

However, in regards to the enhancement of gameplay experiences, the most salient accomplishment would definitely be the Zidane's development of UA_Source. But I fear that you're already quite familiar with it from another thread by now, so suggesting it could be quite redundant. :P

Basically, UA_Source allows countless low-level modifications of UA in a quick and accessible environment. Thanks to the project, the game is now virtually moddable and customisable in many possible ways. You could easily edit the decompiled C/C++ files, and compile them of your own accord to apply your personal changes into the game.

Whilst such modifications are somewhat possible with the original game via using hex-editors and disassemblers, UA_Source allows much simpler and convenient access to its core game data. Please be sure that you're using the latest version (currently 0.93-3) for the optimal performance. All subsequent release builds can be overwritten directly over the existing files.

There is one very important thing to note - UA:Source requires several additional parameters into NUCLEUS.INI to support its full functionality. Throughout its development, there were several new variables that have been newly introduced into the integral part of the game.

Please copy these lines at below and paste them into the NUCLEUS.INI config file of your active UA_Source directory. It is a good idea to copy them into a separate space so they can be distinguished from the vanilla functions. :arrow:

Code: Select all

gfx.solidfont            = no
gfx.maxfps               = 60
gfx.vsync                = 0
tune.weapon_radius       = off
gfx.newsky               = on
gfx.skydistance          = 3000
gfx.skylength            = 500
The values are all set to default, and can be adjusted accordingly should the need arise but wrong inputs may result in unforeseen errors or glitches. If you wish to change them some trial and error may be necessary. For example, in the older versions there was a temporary 'tank glitch' that happens when the max fps was not limited and the computer is too fast.

UA_Source can also support in-game soundtracks without the need for a mixed-mode game CD to be inserted into a primary CD-ROM drive. The audio files must be in the *.ogg format and their names follow the original UA soundtracks numbering, so it is possible to sequentially add your own custom music tracks into the game. :idea:

You may either rip and convert the original soundtracks from a physical disc/virtual CD image by yourself, or simply download the former build 0.92-0 which contains the ready-to-use music files in its 'music' folder (simply transfer those 5 music files in the 'music' folder of 0.92-0 build to the empty 'music' folder of your currently active UA_Source directory).

I hope I did not omitted any crucial information, and if you have questions please do not hesitate to ask us! For the record, I will be mostly absent from the forums during the next two months or so. Hopefully everything turns out well. :mrgreen:
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!