How do I get multiplayer working?

Go here to give advice to the less experienced or ask for help.
Imricdaelf
Fox
Fox

Re: How do I get multiplayer working?

Post by Imricdaelf » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:38 pm

I did a reinstall with the iso file from the FTP, and I still did not have any multiplayer capability. I also tried to copy the installation from the FTP, but to no success. Could it be a problem with Vista? I have not checked my XP desktop, or my 7 install, because I don't use them.

EDIT: After much failure, I managed to reinstall UA again because of some error. Blah blah it seems to be working, and somehow I now have the internet connection settings stuff in multiplayer like I should. Still have no real idea how to play multiplayer, but will likely not be online much over the weekend anyway. Three more levels and Parasite City to go before I finally beat the campaign.

EDIT TWO: What a suprise, it's crashing. I can go into a level I have beaten, but when I go to the briefing screen for one I haven't done, it crashes. Some memory could not be read error. Same error before I reinstalled.

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:51 am

erm well idk virus `???
as i see the things i do belieive something is wrong with your PC ...
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

Imricdaelf
Fox
Fox

Post by Imricdaelf » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Well apparently my previous saved game was causing problems with a fresh install, so now I am once again with no multiplayer availability and now I have to restart the entire campaign. Awesome.

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:46 pm

well
you have a virus for 90%
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:57 pm

And you know this HOW, Brachy?
I mean, possibly something's wrong with the computer because imricdaelf can't start new missions, but how do you expect a virus to be so specific as to target a game that nobody knows about?
Talking about stuff you have no clue about FOR THE LOSS.
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:42 am

I think it could be anything. I don't know why UA wouldn't list the multiplayer option unless it wasn't detecting your network adapter..which then is linked to DirectX so maybe you could reinstall directX

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 6652cd92a3

Imricdaelf
Fox
Fox

Post by Imricdaelf » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:50 am

GoldStar611 wrote:I think it could be anything. I don't know why UA wouldn't list the multiplayer option unless it wasn't detecting your network adapter..which then is linked to DirectX so maybe you could reinstall directX

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 6652cd92a3

I didn't know it had to detect the network adapter, that is more than likely my problem for multiplayer. I essentially fried my NIC when I spilled a jug of tea on my laptop, and now the NIC only works sometimes, only with my router, no other router, no switch, etc etc etc. My wireless adapter does still work though, but I honestly don't know how to set it as a primary adapter and I never remember to play around with the settings (Vista or 7).

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:38 am

Ah, well if you are having problems with getting the game to actually start up then I would delete the C:\program files\microsoft games\urban assault folder altogether, install DirectX, then reinstall UA. If you want to disable your internal NIC, you can press [windows]+[Pause], select device manager on the left, expand network adapter and right click your internal NIC and select disable.

Imricdaelf
Fox
Fox

Post by Imricdaelf » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:16 pm

I disabled the NIC, and now the multiplayer seems to work, as well as a few levels worked until it crashed trying to load the briefing screen for Suprise with the same error. How would I know what DirectX version I have to reinstall that? I know it is either 9 or 10 because I can run Bioshock & Borderlands.

Also, setup crashes with no error message when I try to change the installation directory.

EDIT: After much experimentation it seems that using the primary display driver is causing the error, but the software setting lags the game so bad I can't pilot vehicles and most of the time when I beam on top of a power station I captured next to an enemy host station I lag out so bad that I can't do anything and frequently die.

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:36 am

Go to start->run and type DXDIAG, and after you make a selection on sending information to microsoft you can see what version you have on the main window at the bottom of the list. It shouldn't matter what version you have, it just matters that it is the most current. I have DX11, that's what I would recommend.

Your computer sounds like it is running out of memory or some program is using all the CPU resources if the software driver is lagging. Might check task manager to see what process(es) are using the most resources.