How do I get multiplayer working?

Go here to give advice to the less experienced or ask for help.
Imricdaelf
Fox
Fox

Re: How do I get multiplayer working?

Postby Imricdaelf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:00 am

I feel really stupid now because I completely forgot about DXDIAG. I'm running on vista at the moment, I will try 7 tomorrow (I have Vista and 7 dual boot on my laptop), but I know for sure that I am not using most of the system resources because I constantly watch them. I use Rainmeter to keep track of everything, so I know when I actually use the RAM and CPU I paid for.

superbob1998
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)

Postby superbob1998 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:08 am

I have problems with my multiplayer, too.

I used an image picture of the game on my laptop and I burned it onto a CD-R and the multiplayer doen't work. It kind of sucks, it use to work when I just used the image, but not the cd.

When I used the image, it kept glitching up to the point when I would have to exit out of it.

It did not respond.

But when I use the CD picture image, it does not "not respond" at all, but it does glitch up ever now and then.

THE COMPUTERS ARE CONFUSING US ALL. :geek:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MS Paint skills are off the charts.

deetex
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Postby deetex » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:06 am

Interesting...

I've downloaded the ISO for my Macbook(Mounted via Parallels Desktop) and Multiplayer comes up in the main menu just fine.

Can we have a look at your specifications please, network connection type, operating system and bit-depth, hardware specs, that sort of thing?

superbob1998

Postby superbob1998 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:24 pm

There is an option for multiplayer on the menu, but when you click it, it brings you to the multiplayer screen, but there are no options to chose from.

UGH! :x

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MS Paint skills are off the charts.

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Postby MarcOlle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:44 pm

Maybe is missing a file...
Hey, but it don't work with Gameranger too?

Maybe your UA is bug and just work with this...
Fractal Music Fan!
But never listen it for several hours, can cause brain damage!!!!

ImageImageImageImage
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D

And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

ls_52
Firefly
Firefly

Postby ls_52 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:01 pm

I'm really sorry for open this thread again. I can't play in multiplayer mode. I have 2 pcs and i've tried this:

1) Use gameranger and follow the steps on the beginning of this post
2) Use hamachi and follow the steps on the beginning of this post
3) Only follow the steps om the beginning of this post
4) Connect both pcs with rj-45 and follow the steps on the beginning of this post
5) Connect both pcs with rj-45 and try serial connection option

And i'm very tired of this. I don't understand how you can play...Can anybody tell me which is the secret for the multiplayer connection?

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Postby Ormu » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:41 pm

ls_52 wrote:I'm really sorry for open this thread again. I can't play in multiplayer mode. I have 2 pcs and i've tried this:

4) Connect both pcs with rj-45 and follow the steps on the beginning of this post

And i'm very tired of this. I don't understand how you can play...Can anybody tell me which is the secret for the multiplayer connection?

If the computers are in the same local network, do not use Gameranger or Hamachi. They might work but they're not needed.

What operating systems are you using?

You can use serial connection but then you need a serial (RS232) cable (I think null-modem cable is the correct type) and serial port on both computers. It's probably slow compared to TCP/IP so it's not recommended anyway. Also, UA might only allow you to play the small maps which have the slow_connection parameter set.

Do you have a router of some sort? You should be able to connect the computers directly via ethernet (you may need a crossover cable, depending on the network chips/cards in the computers!) but using a router is simple.

This is how I have successfully played UA in a local network:

1. Start UA on the first computer, go to the multiplayer menu and select TCP/IP connection. A small window should appear, asking for an address. Leave it blank and click OK. Next, set a nickname, click OK, then "Create session" button and you can set up the game.

2. Next, start UA on the second computer, go to the multiplayer menu, and enter the IP address (local!) of the first computer to the small window. Set a nickname as you did earlier and wait for a short moment. You should see the game you just started on the first computer.

3. If this doesn't work, check that the firewall on both computers allows UA.

If the computers are not in the same local network, you can either use Gameranger or connect manually. If you connect manually, you must check the router settings. If there is a firewall, it must allow connections to the ports that UA uses. If one or both of the computers are behind network address translation (NAT), you must set up port forwarding.

The ports are:
>> 47624 (DirectPlay 7 initial connection)
>> 2300-2400 (DirectPlay data; the game chooses the ports from this range; they're usually among the first ports but this isn't guaranteed as far as I know)
>> 6073 (DirectPlay 8 initial connection; probably not required by UA)

If you can't forward or open the ports (some ISPs use NAT in mobile internet subscriptions, for example), you can use Gameranger which uses NAT traversal tricks and is often able to connect through NAT.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.

ls_52
Firefly
Firefly

Postby ls_52 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:08 am

Ormu wrote:
ls_52 wrote:I'm really sorry for open this thread again. I can't play in multiplayer mode. I have 2 pcs and i've tried this:

If the computers are in the same local network, do not use Gameranger or Hamachi. They might work but they're not needed.

What operating systems are you using?

You can use serial connection but then you need a serial (RS232) cable (I think null-modem cable is the correct type) and serial port on both computers. It's probably slow compared to TCP/IP so it's not recommended anyway. Also, UA might only allow you to play the small maps which have the slow_connection parameter set.

Do you have a router of some sort? You should be able to connect the computers directly via ethernet (you may need a crossover cable, depending on the network chips/cards in the computers!) but using a router is simple.

This is how I have successfully played UA in a local network:

1. Start UA on the first computer, go to the multiplayer menu and select TCP/IP connection. A small window should appear, asking for an address. Leave it blank and click OK. Next, set a nickname, click OK, then "Create session" button and you can set up the game.

2. Next, start UA on the second computer, go to the multiplayer menu, and enter the IP address (local!) of the first computer to the small window. Set a nickname as you did earlier and wait for a short moment. You should see the game you just started on the first computer.

3. If this doesn't work, check that the firewall on both computers allows UA.

If the computers are not in the same local network, you can either use Gameranger or connect manually. If you connect manually, you must check the router settings. If there is a firewall, it must allow connections to the ports that UA uses. If one or both of the computers are behind network address translation (NAT), you must set up port forwarding.

The ports are:
>> 47624 (DirectPlay 7 initial connection)
>> 2300-2400 (DirectPlay data; the game chooses the ports from this range; they're usually among the first ports but this isn't guaranteed as far as I know)
>> 6073 (DirectPlay 8 initial connection; probably not required by UA)

If you can't forward or open the ports (some ISPs use NAT in mobile internet subscriptions, for example), you can use Gameranger which uses NAT traversal tricks and is often able to connect through NAT.

Wooow Ormu! Thank you very much for the quick reply :) I'll try to follow your steps and i hope to have lucky. I have to say that both pc run windows 8, but my original cd of UA was very bad, so i had to make a backup. Can the backup be the cause for my non-connection problem?

I'll tell you what appear in host-client(s) pcs:

1) Run UA in host pc -> select multiplayer -> last option -> set my ip (i leave it blank but i also tried tiping my dynamic ip and local ip (ipconfig)) -> set nickname -> select map ---> Everything ok
2) Run UA in client pc -> select multiplayer -> last option -> set the host ip (i also tried dynamic host ip, local host ip, dynamic client ip, local client ip) -> set nickname?? (i think this step shouldn't appear, but i set up the same nickname than host) -> select map (i think this step shouldn't appear neither, but i set up the same map than host) ----> I never find the host session, or lobby....

I'll try your steps and i'll tell you if it works. Does the multiplayer mode need patch??

P.S: I'm sorry but sometimes my english is a bit poor, so excuse me if i have some faults.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Postby Ormu » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:59 am

ls_52 wrote:Wooow Ormu! Thank you very much for the quick reply :) I'll try to follow your steps and i hope to have lucky. I have to say that both pc run windows 8, but my original cd of UA was very bad, so i had to make a backup. Can the backup be the cause for my non-connection problem?

Most likely not.

DirectPlay-related limitations on newer Windows versions might have an effect, but I think it's not likely either.

I forgot to say, also check that the firewall on the computers allows traffic for DirectPlay Helper (or something similar).

I'll tell you what appear in host-client(s) pcs:

1) Run UA in host pc -> select multiplayer -> last option -> set my ip (i leave it blank but i also tried tiping my dynamic ip and local ip (ipconfig)) -> set nickname -> select map ---> Everything ok
2) Run UA in client pc -> select multiplayer -> last option -> set the host ip (i also tried dynamic host ip, local host ip, dynamic client ip, local client ip) -> set nickname?? (i think this step shouldn't appear, but i set up the same nickname than host) -> select map (i think this step shouldn't appear neither, but i set up the same map than host) ----> I never find the host session, or lobby....

I'll try your steps and i'll tell you if it works. Does the multiplayer mode need patch??

You should not go to the map selection screen on the client computer. Instead, after setting the host address and the nickname, you should soon see the game hosted on the other computer if everything is configured correctly.

In a local network, entering the address might not even be needed, as UA (or the DPlay helper) might be able to find the hosted game automatically from the network.

Multiplayer mode does not require a patch. (However, many people playing online are using Mario's patchset but it's a content patch, aimed to improve the unit balance and other gameplay experience, and it's not related to the underlying multiplayer engine.)
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.

ls_52
Firefly
Firefly

Postby ls_52 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:53 pm

Ormu wrote:I forgot to say, also check that the firewall on the computers allows traffic for DirectPlay Helper (or something similar).

You should not go to the map selection screen on the client computer. Instead, after setting the host address and the nickname, you should soon see the game hosted on the other computer if everything is configured correctly.

In a local network, entering the address might not even be needed, as UA (or the DPlay helper) might be able to find the hosted game automatically from the network.

Multiplayer mode does not require a patch. (However, many people playing online are using Mario's patchset but it's a content patch, aimed to improve the unit balance and other gameplay experience, and it's not related to the underlying multiplayer engine.)

Ok. I'm gonna try right now :)

Return to “Multiplayer Strategy”