Grim0x and I can't play on UA even with the easy installs!

For those looking for a more casual game, or wanting to chat after a game.
MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Grim0x and I can't play on UA even with the easy installs!

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:56 am

Grim0x and I can't play Urban Assault on Gameranger! We've tried to play each other UA with Gameranger, but when I host and I start, I only appear while Grim0x has a black screen. Same thing with Grim0x, every time he hosts and starts the UA game, I have black screen and he can only see his name.

This is strange... I've already played matches with a few others, namely Paysafman, mbarking, and MrTopxic, and it worked nicely (save by some glitches), but when I tried to play with Grim0x (and it was going to be his first Gameranger UA battle since a long time), either me or Grim0x had black screen and only UA cursor. Other people, like RHINO-85, USUARIO (ID: 2054181), SIR GABERN, and others only play on weekends. I dunno what is causing the problem, but I hope this can be solved because we want to create a new generation of UA players on Gameranger.
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Grim0x and I can't play on UA even with the easy install

Post by Ormu » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm not sure at all, but the black screen during start might be caused by connection problems. Gameranger uses NAT traversal techniques excessively (Hamachi/Wippien use too, but in a slightly different way I think) and these techniques do not always work properly. It depends on the router configuration.

Manual hosting (just UA without extra software) may help but at least the host must know how to forward the ports correctly. UA may also require other players to forward the ports as UA might have a peer-to-peer type network engine rather than a more common client-server model.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:00 am

Ormu wrote:I'm not sure at all, but the black screen during start might be caused by connection problems. Gameranger uses NAT traversal techniques excessively (Hamachi/Wippien use too, but in a slightly different way I think) and these techniques do not always work properly. It depends on the router configuration.

Manual hosting (just UA without extra software) may help but at least the host must know how to forward the ports correctly. UA may also require other players to forward the ports as UA might have a peer-to-peer type network engine rather than a more common client-server model.
Yeah, I see why. According to Thomas, UA is mainly peer-to-peer network, and if 2 players play with a client-server model, it might not work on Urban Assault. That's odd now...
Today I had to reinstall the game with the "ASSAULTdataonly.ISO" and wait until a new UA player to see if it works the battle on Gameranger. Normally one player with peer-to-peer and one with client-server model may work, but by far I haven't made a question to Grim0x if his router is also client-server or Post-Restricted NAT code. I recently configured my router to make it work perfectly, but the only thing I can do is to wait. This is the video of how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7OkrgFM-4s
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

Grim0x
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Grim0x » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:45 pm

This is a recurrent problem with GR.
How we circumvent it nowadays is simply re-trying until we have success.

If I bypass my router completely, the problem can still reoccur, so that then rests the problem either in the lap of my ISP, or GR's servers.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''%'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Image''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''%''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature

Thomas Fredson
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Post by Thomas Fredson » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:14 am

There is no servers for UA, either on internet nor on GR.

This could be a problem with your ISP, especially if you are not in a country which is develloped enough to offer great IS ( I don't know the situation of Jamaica about this...)
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Thomas Fredson wrote:There is no servers for UA, either on internet nor on GR.

This could be a problem with your ISP, especially if you are not in a country which is develloped enough to offer great IS ( I don't know the situation of Jamaica about this...)
[OffTopic] I think Gameranger may use its own server to establish connections over NAT. See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDP_hole_punching
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Thomas Fredson

Post by Thomas Fredson » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Well it could be possible, I forgot about these UDP things...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)

surfer1253
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by surfer1253 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Well, there may be several ways to explain this.First is that it can be a gameranger problem.Probably gameranger doesnt allow all type of modems or routers to use gameranger.Thats why you show in gameranger rooms as italic.
Second is that it may be your modem or router that is blocking you from using gameranger or that is blocking you from playing that game with gameranger.That happens with me, while i can play all games with gameranger , i show as italic when i join Age of empires 3 rooms so i cant play it.
Third may be the game it self that isnt letting you to play that game online with your type of modem or router or with gameranger.Probably this deppends on the game install if its a game issue.
Taerkasten:
We crush,we smash,
none can oppose us!