Stoudson Corporation Wiki

Mandatory reading. This forum contains the rules and regulations and announcements about any changes to the forums or site. Only the staff may create threads, but anyone else can reply to discuss.
leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Re: Stoudson Corporation Wiki

Post by leftylink » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:29 am

MarcOlle wrote:And Lefty, is possible add a background on wiki, like on twitter, behind everything?
Because I believe the wiki will looks better with the Help File background ...
Ah... it'll probably take me some time to figure out how to get the theme to look all nice and everything. This is a non-trivial request.
MarcOlle wrote:The emoticons is because your template has {{...}} and the image too, and (I don't know why) you can't put {{ inside another ...
And the emoticons works
Ah, okay. You're right, it's not possible to put an image in the multiplier section of the templates. What a shame. Okay, well, let us all decide on appropriate icons to represent the four (IIRC...) types of multipliers - tanks, planes, helicopters, host stations. Ideas, anyone?
MarcOlle wrote:
leftylink wrote: The trouble is since it's a template it looks like every user will have to use it... unless there was some cool auto-detection mod I want to install. I'll look into it at some point.
I believe it is don't necessary, because in Requirements you has to create a page:

Code: Select all

Create a page at “wiki:navigation_mobile” to use as your navigation page (or edit the top_bar.php to point somewhere else). I highly suggest indexmenu, or another autogenerating navbar plugin.
So I believe it will only affect the smartphone users...
That has nothing to do with whether it will affect every user. That is simply a requirement for installation. I just installed it. It affected everyone.
If I feel like it, I will write a small plugin that checks the user-agent string and uses the Dokumobile template if it detects a mobile phone, otherwise it will use the normal template. If someone else feels like doing this because this probably won't happen for a while, go ahead and do it. DokuWiki's instructions for writing a plugin should be helpful.

ALERT: I split off the Tapatalk/mobile forum discussion into its own thread. Please continue discussion there.
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

M1kkko
5P0 Air Prism
5P0 Air Prism

Post by M1kkko » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:51 am

If we really want to get some sense into our wiki, I mean if we want to get a real wiki, we need to switch to Mediawiki.

Are there really any advantages in dokuwiki?

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:44 pm

M1kkko wrote:If we really want to get some sense into our wiki, I mean if we want to get a real wiki, we need to switch to Mediawiki.

Are there really any advantages in dokuwiki?
I don't know very much about different wikis but I think our wiki just needs more content. Many good wikis have been created using DokuWiki, see Avidemux wiki for example.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:25 pm

M1kkko wrote:If we really want to get some sense into our wiki, I mean if we want to get a real wiki, we need to switch to Mediawiki.
The burden of proof will be on you here. What cool awesome feature or functionality does MediaWiki have that we need and that DokuWiki doesn't have? If you have no answer to this question, there is no point in switching.
M1kkko wrote:Are there really any advantages in dokuwiki?
Okay, so let me tell you why I chose DokuWiki over MediaWiki in the first place. I figured this would be a small wiki and all, so flat-file storage can be used rather than a database. I didn't feel like messing with MediaWiki's huge codebase (I needed to hack some code to allow logins with forum usernames/passwords. Although to MediaWiki's credit, MediaWiki can do this fine with a handy-dandy plugin). DokuWiki is simple but has all the features that I judged we needed in a wiki.

That's really it, and it really was between DokuWiki and MediaWiki (and I went through many many others before cutting the choices down to those two). So maybe I chose a bit arbitrarily, but a switch will take a nonzero amount of effort, and if the benefits aren't worth the effort, then why fix what isn't broken?

I think the primary reason for the non-usefulness of our wiki is the simple fact that people don't have the time, or don't want to take the time to populate it with good content, rather than an intrinsic failing of DokuWiki.

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:59 am

Yeah using a wiki from a developers standpoint (versus consumer standpoint) is pretty much like learning a new language. You can put some really good stuff on it but without formatting it won't ever be "good content".

I'm not saying that every page isn't good. Marc, Darth and Ihgzial have done a fantastic job collaborating on the unit pages. I seem to be the only one to know all the in depth stuff about hardcore hacking into model files and such and I wrote a little text here and there but without formatting it's very obsure, almost useless. I would like to get some of that straightened up so normal people could experiment a little more with editing vehicles. (seriously making a ground cube 3 times original size is EASY). M1kkko, it's your time to shine. Edit some of the pages and put some format on them :)

As far as the phpBB users plug in, I understand [now] how it works, and it's pretty simple to implement elsewhere -- Thanks for putting that in there lefty.

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:53 pm

Well, while we've had some debate on whether to switch to MediaWiki, I don't believe I've seen compelling reasons or widespread support, so in the meantime, I've updated DokuWiki to its newest release. Let me know if something went wrong and I can see if I can fix it.

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:22 pm

I discover a bug, when I was editing and creating posts of units of each faction, the template you create for make easier to put the units info on wiki now has an extra column on the info you add to it (the custom info)... A good example of what I talking about is the http://wiki.metropolisdawn.com/zeppelin, where because of the wide image this extra column is bigger...

PS: If you go to edit your template, you can add the salvo shots info and the salvo reload time?
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:51 pm

There seems to be a bug in the wiki... I tried to edit the icon article but I was either redirected to the 404 page of the blog or to the "Topic does not exist yet" page in the wiki. There seems to be some duplicate link issues; the wiki can be accessed via www.metropolisdawn.com/wiki and wiki.metropolisdawn.com

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:28 am

Ormu, what page were you editing and from which location??

I just edited the story line from both wiki.metropolisdawn.com and metropolisdawn.com/wiki and they both worked just fine.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:01 pm

This:

http://wiki.metropolisdawn.com/unit_icons

I think I tried both www.metropolisdawn.com/wiki and wiki.metropolisdawn.com...