Hello everyone

New here? Introduce yourself to all the fellow Urban Assault players here! (Post counts do not increase in this forum)
Sp3ctr3EX
Little Brother
Little Brother

Hello everyone

Post by Sp3ctr3EX » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:17 am

I might aswell introduce myself, I'm Sp3ctr3EX but you can call me Sp3c as some of my friends do for short, I have grown up with Urban Assault and Battlezone, two games that marked my childhood, and I'll be honest, it been a while since I've been keeping an eye on the Stoudson Corporation forum and wiki, I've always wanted to help out specially on the wiki part, and I wanted to join this forum aswell but... Well didn't really had the courage for it :oops:

However recently a friend of mine posted a comment on one of MarioSDU's videos and to my surprise he replied to which I had to reply back because if I didn't it would be this huge missunderstanding, yes I'm a big fan of MarioSDU and his videos and mods :lol: I played all three intense mods and he was my inspiration to mod Urban Assault and make my own Mykonian, Sulgogar and Black Sect campaign based on the Ghorkovs, Taerkastens and Resistance campaigns respectively. But that's another one of the reasons I didn't wanted to join at first, I wanted to be prepared, do my mods first and my "research" about the units, weapons and all that stuff to help on the wiki.

I'm also a big fan of GoldStar611 (Black Sect ftw) :awsm: and since I've joined officially the Stoudson Corporation forums to talk to MarioSDU why not say hello to everyone here aswell even though by what MarioSDU told me, the activity here is pretty low but that's good sometimes, other of the reasons is because I tried making some of my friends who are from a newer generation than me play Urban Assault but well, didn't actually succeeded... They don't know what a good game really is.

Also I just found out several days ago that Battlezone was getting a remake with updated graphics and same gameplay, that's already one... Now I just need Urban Assault remade in a new engine with better graphics and I'll be a happy man.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Ormu » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Welcome \o/
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:37 am

Sp3ctr3EX wrote:I might aswell introduce myself, I'm Sp3ctr3EX but you can call me Sp3c as some of my friends do for short, I have grown up with Urban Assault and Battlezone, two games that marked my childhood, and I'll be honest, it been a while since I've been keeping an eye on the Stoudson Corporation forum and wiki, I've always wanted to help out specially on the wiki part, and I wanted to join this forum aswell but... Well didn't really had the courage for it :oops:

However recently a friend of mine posted a comment on one of MarioSDU's videos and to my surprise he replied to which I had to reply back because if I didn't it would be this huge missunderstanding, yes I'm a big fan of MarioSDU and his videos and mods :lol: I played all three intense mods and he was my inspiration to mod Urban Assault and make my own Mykonian, Sulgogar and Black Sect campaign based on the Ghorkovs, Taerkastens and Resistance campaigns respectively. But that's another one of the reasons I didn't wanted to join at first, I wanted to be prepared, do my mods first and my "research" about the units, weapons and all that stuff to help on the wiki.

I'm also a big fan of GoldStar611 (Black Sect ftw) :awsm: and since I've joined officially the Stoudson Corporation forums to talk to MarioSDU why not say hello to everyone here aswell even though by what MarioSDU told me, the activity here is pretty low but that's good sometimes, other of the reasons is because I tried making some of my friends who are from a newer generation than me play Urban Assault but well, didn't actually succeeded... They don't know what a good game really is.

Also I just found out several days ago that Battlezone was getting a remake with updated graphics and same gameplay, that's already one... Now I just need Urban Assault remade in a new engine with better graphics and I'll be a happy man.
Well, it's good we have you there buddy, since we met on Youtube. ;)

Lol, I didn't know you are a modder, but to be honest, Bronsteijn24k was also another of my inspirations, he was the one who put me in all of this in first place.
Sadly, Urban Assault got "mixed reviews", that's possibly the why of it's lukewarm popularity. If it had better gameplay, we would surely do a difference. Also, it lacks visible appealing characters (and no, in my opinion they shouldn't be realistic, but instead cartoonish, but appealing like anime and manga). But as LloydJara told to me, it was merely an "experiment" to yet another Terratools game that was completely different to UA that was a "failure". But don't worry, I hope 1.2.01 beta (that has singleplayer with only 3 missions until a future beta patch) does some significant difference compared to 1.1.07 beta.

Hmmm, it is good Battlezone gets a remake, but to be honest, having only enhanced graphics won't do the difference alone. But I hope the ones doing the remake do already improve the great "gameplay", but only when they see fit, to make sure the HD version lives positively by its name.
One final thing, UA does need to be remade in a new engine, but on one we can also modify the engine itself for even more interesting gimmicks that everyone will love, talking about gameplay, of course. The "gameplay" of the remade UA should be vastly improved to be the most enjoyable and balanced possible for both new and old games from any cathegory, in fact, it should be even better than what I'll have stored on "UA 1.2.01 beta".
Also, graphics won't do a difference, but they'll help nonetheless, and finally, the geography and setting setting SHOULD be custom-made, yep, Constructed World, and Worldbuilding, to avoid any controversies possible, but also, the storyline being the most coherent, addictive, and smart possible. :)
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

LloydJara
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by LloydJara » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:27 pm

Welcome Spectre. I guess, there´s nothing else to say since Mario said everything you need to know. :lol: I also tried convincing my family and friends to play UA, but i failed. :(

Anyway, i have a question. You´re from Spain?
I am from Chile, so if you´re from Spain then we can talk in Spanish on GR. Same goes for Mario, who is from Panamá.
UA Frontier: The Return of The Resistance Mod - Currently on Hiatus
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slow but Deadly.. We are the Taerkastens

Sp3ctr3EX
Little Brother
Little Brother

Post by Sp3ctr3EX » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks for the welcome Ormu.

Yeah MarioSDU, I mod, although I'm very lazy or I just don't have enough time anymore, which is a shame, since I felt that making a mod about the rest of the factions would give a new perspective to the war. Urban Assault had some troubles, but it seemed a solid game to me.

And Battlezone had nice scores, it just flew under the radar like Urban Assault which is sad, I felt these two games were some of the best I've ever played, I blame genre purists... In the sense of "Only RTS allowed!"... I agree graphics aren't everything, but since Battlezone didn't had any game breaking bugs, well maybe the AI being a bit dumb, it was pretty nice, but it was starting to show age because of the engine it was used, I was starting to call it Potatozone :lol: like that saying, if it isn't broken, don't fix it :awsm: These two games didn't revolved around graphics, but it would certainly give a nice help.

I always felt that Urban Assault and Battlezone by extension could be made into a full RTS though just to spice things up, like Spring Engine or the same engine used by C&C3 Tiberium Wars (Funnily enough that game doesn't have water either, coincidence?) But it's a bit complicated since you have to make the host stations/motherships move when they need to move instead of deploying like the Construction Yard, also coding which I fail at. However that would take some fun away since we all like to go into a unit and blow bad guys up ;)

I know what you mean by "Constructed World", I don't mind it, but the way Urban Assault portrayed the scenary was so well made, and honestly controversies, people take those too seriously sometimes, it's just a game, which is played for fun, the storyline did left some things up for thought aswell, to be more specifically the origin of the Black Sect which we never actually found out about, or if they were the ones who tried to sell the Ghorkovs to the Mykonians and blamed the Resistance for it, if you know what I mean heh heh...

Also LloydJara, I'm not Spanish but... The my country is known has the small hermano of Spain, so we pretty much speak the same language... I mean... Almost. I believe that won't be a problem, although I do prefer English... Oh the irony, how patriotic I am 8-) Timezones might be a pain though and free time aswell.

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:04 pm

Well, that's true, but sometimes drawing attention "with whatever means" (be it good or bad) won't always bring positive reception all time, sure, GTA 5 was awesome, but some of the best games ever (such as Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Zelda: Ocarina of Time) didn't even had controversies (although Ocarina of Time did have, but without critiques and it was replaced the previous Gerudo Symbol with a new one). But hey, not only I do for fun, but also to make sure everyone likes it and have fun. That's why I often take these things very seriously. ;)

Also, if UA were to be remade, it should have a completely unique geography, as I've said, it is not worth making the geography exactly as our real-life Earth, it is not convenient, as it will also fire more negative controversies. I also agree that if "a thing is fine, it doesn't need to be fixed". Although sadly, we don't have the "source code" for UA yet, or else we could easily code some things to improve the UA experience, such as adding more factions, or improving the AI a bit without editing their "scripts" files. Well, are you busy with school? Or with work?

UA storyline seems fine, although it needs a few improvements, for example, on normal singleplayer, on the mission where the Scout is acquired, they mentioned the "Turantul II" (Skorpio) is here, and with many Ghargoil 2s, but I only see some Ghargoil 2s, the Turantul I over the Scout upgrade, and the Skorpio is not present at all, same thing happens on normal-difficulty Hurz, where are the 2 Skorpios? There are only 2 Turantul I present. A few inconsistencies, but well, it's for fun, but also making it "coherent" will make everyone enjoy it with fun. ;)
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

Sp3ctr3EX
Little Brother
Little Brother

Post by Sp3ctr3EX » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:12 am

MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote:Well, that's true, but sometimes drawing attention "with whatever means" (be it good or bad) won't always bring positive reception all time, sure, GTA 5 was awesome, but some of the best games ever (such as Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Zelda: Ocarina of Time) didn't even had controversies (although Ocarina of Time did have, but without critiques and it was replaced the previous Gerudo Symbol with a new one). But hey, not only I do for fun, but also to make sure everyone likes it and have fun. That's why I often take these things very seriously. ;)

Also, if UA were to be remade, it should have a completely unique geography, as I've said, it is not worth making the geography exactly as our real-life Earth, it is not convenient, as it will also fire more negative controversies. I also agree that if "a thing is fine, it doesn't need to be fixed". Although sadly, we don't have the "source code" for UA yet, or else we could easily code some things to improve the UA experience, such as adding more factions, or improving the AI a bit without editing their "scripts" files. Well, are you busy with school? Or with work?

UA storyline seems fine, although it needs a few improvements, for example, on normal singleplayer, on the mission where the Scout is acquired, they mentioned the "Turantul II" (Skorpio) is here, and with many Ghargoil 2s, but I only see some Ghargoil 2s, the Turantul I over the Scout upgrade, and the Skorpio is not present at all, same thing happens on normal-difficulty Hurz, where are the 2 Skorpios? There are only 2 Turantul I present. A few inconsistencies, but well, it's for fun, but also making it "coherent" will make everyone enjoy it with fun. ;)

Yeah, that's pretty much all true... Sad the source code of UA got lost, I always had a plan of getting a free 2D engine for making a simple fan-game of it where you would have the level select, then the briefing and the mission would be just the map overlay you have in game, you know with the units icons and the squares, and the background would be the sky textures, it would take the FPS part away sadly :( And imo, six factions for me are enough personally, adding more I would get so confused and somewhat complicated :lol:.

It's more about work, maybe if I can finish some stuff quicker I'll have time in my schedule. Specially that I have alot of stuff to fill the Stoudson Corporation wiki, huds, map screeshots, briefing gifs, all that kinda stuff, so it can look more complete, I'm still working on those aswell, but I better talk to someone that has a higher position, if you know what I mean.

Those inconsistencies though, I guess the creators thought it would be a little too hard and changed their minds or something or forgot about it lel, very much like that typo about SDU6 having died much later than everybody else.

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:24 am

Sp3ctr3EX wrote: I tried making some of my friends who are from a newer generation than me play Urban Assault but well, didn't actually succeeded... They don't know what a good game really is.
Aint that the truth! Yes, the kids these days....

Welcome to the forums. Please make friends and feel free to hang out of gameranger to play some multi player with the more active guys around here ;)