Hello

New here? Introduce yourself to all the fellow Urban Assault players here! (Post counts do not increase in this forum)
Mike_90
Firefly
Firefly

Hello

Post by Mike_90 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Hello.
My name's Mike and I first played this great game when I was something like 8 years old. Never got around looking for a community except the other day, when I reinstalled UA on a Linux Mint machine. I gladly found here that awesome no cd linux patch.

I also saw that there is some recent activity here regarding UA2. I hope they introduce sea battles. :P

Also, a little question out of curiosity: Am I the only one thinking that UA created a very good atmosphere in the game with very little but good lore to back it up?

Cheers!

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Re: Hello

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 am

Welcome Mike.

For 1998 the guys did pretty darn well. Especially if you factor in the tools that they used were asdg art department which was available on the Amiga computer system!

This tells me they've been in the game for some time and mostly took what they already had and improved it a bit. They could have had 16 bit textures and animated gifs and more modern support but (as I see it) chose to port over existing design/code and models --a very smart move actually.

The idea was way ahead if its time -- and even today a modern refresh would probably have an awesome reception from the masses.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:58 am

Welcome.

I certainly agree that the atmosphere is one of the best aspects of UA. I also find it quite impressive that the developers managed to implement some features like destructible buildings with so little processing (CPU/GPU/memory) resources.

UA2 "activity" has been there since the first UA community was founded but the current plans are probably the most promising ever. A new FPRTS game would surely be welcome.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:56 am

I am really hoping that chaos realms pulls through on licensing from Microsoft and makes an official sequel.