A Modding Tutorial

Do you have any feedback for us? Are you looking for a file that you think we should post? Please don't hesitate to tell us about it!
superbob1998
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)

Re: A Modding Tutorial

Post by superbob1998 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:01 pm

I used the compleir and it was just a designing type of program but it wasn't real an editor.

://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd472/superbob1998/GhorkovBanner.jpg[/img]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MS Paint skills are off the charts.

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:11 am

Ormu wrote:There are currently 3 level editing tools made by members of the UA community. They all are somewhat incomplete though. If I only had decent programming skills I would really make one... but my programming experience mainly consists of making ASCII-graphic games for TI calculators so... :P

1. Random level generator which, as the name implies, creates one or more random levels. It works well, has many options and might be handy if you need a bunch of multiplayer levels or something but it's not very useful for making high-quality levels for single player campaigns as those levels aren't usually very "random".

2. Typ_map designer which helps you to create the typ_map section of the level. It's quite useful as designing the typ_map is probably the hardest part of level making. However, it seems that it doesn't support all model sets.

3. UA Level Compiler (UALC) which is the most versatile level editor so far. But as it's an alpha version, it lacks many important features, as you said.
Yeah, and by far I only have UALC, but as it's incomplete, it lacks many features, like editing the size of the map (for example 8x8 or 8x15), placing the common buildings, adjusting the set terrain (from "set 1: normal", to "set 6: mykonized"), and other stuff...

I rather prefer to edit levels using my Notepad, and yeah, making a whole custom map is pretty difficult, as you'll have to place the parts correctly, and it's also time-consuming, as well as it's a pain to make them...
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:20 pm

Agreed and the content we have already on the wiki could use a lot of formatting and after that then we can make all the pages flow together. I worked on one of the pages I created using <code> tags but it is still a long way from being completed.

Inner Loop
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Inner Loop » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:03 pm

MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote: I rather prefer to edit levels using my Notepad, and yeah, making a whole custom map is pretty difficult, as you'll have to place the parts correctly, and it's also time-consuming, as well as it's a pain to make them...
This is prob why my UA copy keeps on crashing, I keep on messing up the maps using notepad because I want my opponents host stations to be stronger, smarter & closer to my own host station.

Somehow I also love it when opponents "move" their hoststation towards or past yours, so freaking intense...

garry's waffle
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by garry's waffle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Inner Loop wrote:
MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote: I rather prefer to edit levels using my Notepad, and yeah, making a whole custom map is pretty difficult, as you'll have to place the parts correctly, and it's also time-consuming, as well as it's a pain to make them...
This is prob why my UA copy keeps on crashing, I keep on messing up the maps using notepad because I want my opponents host stations to be stronger, smarter & closer to my own host station.

Somehow I also love it when opponents "move" their hoststation towards or past yours, so freaking intense...
If I'm correct there are 3 modders are currently fulfil this job now. Which have a clearly new maps.

Fra666(I don't know still his mod is in progress. it is new Resistance Campaign!)

MarcOlle(Sulgogars Campaign in Austrailia. Maybe first sulg mod? :D)

V3kT0rXeNi4L.C(what a hard name.. I don't know which faction or concept of his/her MOD but the information is VERY awesome.. consult in 'Introduction'.)

Inner Loop
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Inner Loop » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:53 pm

garry's waffle wrote:
Inner Loop wrote:

If I'm correct there are 3 modders are currently fulfil this job now. Which have a clearly new maps.

Fra666(I don't know still his mod is in progress. it is new Resistance Campaign!)

MarcOlle(Sulgogars Campaign in Austrailia. Maybe first sulg mod? :D)

V3kT0rXeNi4L.C(what a hard name.. I don't know which faction or concept of his/her MOD but the information is VERY awesome.. consult in 'Introduction'.)
I thought Thomas Fredson was a mapper aswell? a multiplayer mapper? (I guess that might be a different thing, but still...)

garry's waffle
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by garry's waffle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:05 pm

Yeah but the difference is may Thomas hate Mods. (modification of the original game type)

And he is also mapper of MarcOlles Sulgo mod. (Entirely or some of. If entirely... credits for him might be 'HALF'.)

Inner Loop
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Inner Loop » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:53 pm

I personally need a map:

- where I can fight all the factions' host stations (Including the Drones & Black Sect)
- where all the units and buildings are available for creation for each faction
- where the host stations are located close(r) to eachother (small map maybe?)
- where the enemies are technically tougher than I am

That's about it, I think.

randomly generated maps (by the downloadable random map generator) are boring imo because they lack structure and heights.

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Inner Loop wrote: - where all the units and buildings are available for creation for each faction
It means you want a map with the factions with all of their units, or a map with all factions with all units?

Because I can make one for you just make some adjustements in a multiplayer map.... :woah:
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

Thomas Fredson
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Post by Thomas Fredson » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Inner loop wrote:
I thought Thomas Fredson was a mapper aswell? a multiplayer mapper? (I guess that might be a different thing, but still...)
Indeed, I am (still) a MP map modder, and I can teach you how to make a map. But it will be for multiplayer, cause there are some things that I don't get clearly yet... But I'm absolutly able to do what you want Loop... I think I can do before the next week end. Just tell me which misson you'd like to replace and I'll do it for you ;-)
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)