Wippien, the Standard For Our Community Gaming.

Do you have any feedback for us? Are you looking for a file that you think we should post? Please don't hesitate to tell us about it!
Grim0x
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Wippien, the Standard For Our Community Gaming.

Post by Grim0x » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:03 am

Most of us should be familiar with the joys of experiencing Lan play where there is no real...LAN :D.

VPN software allows for LAN to be "extended" so to speak, over the internet, thus convincing the parties involved that they are connected via conventional LAN protocol/hardware, whether via a 8P8C modular connector, or whatever else it may be, (heck firewire even >.>)

UA our authentic classic I have had the joy of playing with members here via the VPN software Hamachi.

If I am to be honest, when I discovered hamachi I was thankful. Hamachi offers a free derivative of their product. However I soon found it be be frustratingly slow. I kept on getting "relayed tunnel" error messages, my transfer rates dwindled and latency was ever a bane. I speak of course of their FREE PRODUCT, their paid service I gather, elicit their best servers/speeds.

So I sat about discover an alternative, a free and BETTER alternative.

Enter Wippien

http://www.brothersoft.com/wippien-49799.html

Wippien was the answer found. It was free, it was concentric, customizable and best of all, I found it be FASTER. Its available for windows and linux.

At the time, the best DL speeds I could get with my internet where about 400kbps. I mention this so to provide a benchmark/background. Wippien provided me with transfers that fluctuated between 50/60 kbps, but it was constantly in that ballpark. That for me, was leagues better, than the 5/6kbps I sometimes got when trying to game/share small files with friends over Hamachi! If you've been a free hamachi user, Give me a silent nod if you feel me on that one.

I recommend that the lovely folks in our community try out this great little program.
It works behind NAT, has a list of PCs/Users, File Transfer to a friend is simple and automated (multiple such transfers are supported at any one time) and on top of everything has a small data footprint.

We can use it as the standard for our online UA matches / skirmishes and I think this should contribute to the livelihood of Stoudson's Forums.

Mario sdu6/sdu7
But if Urban Assault were to have a Starcraft-like, or CounterStrike-like Multiplayer (without conexion problems, and with chances to track active and inactive "Friends" and "Rivals"), it could be even better.

Verily!
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''%'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Image''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''%''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature

Fragger
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Wippien, the Standard For Our Community Gaming.

Post by Fragger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:59 pm

I used to use hamachi, it used to work on XP, not anymore on windows 7. i've heard of tunngle but not of wippien.

GameRanger is good, because you can find other people in chat rooms, and play UA over the internet, almost like a LAN. It's much easier and you don't have to mess with any numbers, ports or settings.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Gameranger has NAT traversal capabilities as well, but this program may allow playing Metropolis Dawn online without messing with the port settings. I'm not sure but I think that when playing UA (with or without expansion) online without using such a program, not only the host but also other players must have their ports forwarded, and not everyone is familiar with such settings.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Grim0x
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Grim0x » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:21 am

I've used game ranger fragger and had connectivity problems, but I haven’t used it enough to give it an honest critique, so, I shall test game ranger in the field some more. Thanks.

Ah. Omru, I think you may be unto something there, perhaps in the future we may have to recall your post.
We say we give it a test sometime? Do you normally game UA online?
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''%'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Image''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''%''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature

CuSToM_94
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Post by CuSToM_94 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:14 pm

will try it soon
maybe it can be better than GR

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Sounds interesting though it should probably be noted that there can be no more than four Urban Assault players at any time.
]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... nceUB1.png[/img]

]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... ensUB2.png[/img]

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:43 am

Well, after I changed my wirelles router, I can't play UA via GameRanger... So it looks like a pretty good idea for me!
And, as commented, it is grat that, probably, you could play Metropolis Dawn in Multiplayer, that has more maps and a better AI >D
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

Grim0x
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Grim0x » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:37 pm

MarcOlle wrote:Well, after I changed my wirelles router, I can't play UA via GameRanger... So it looks like a pretty good idea for me!
And, as commented, it is grat that, probably, you could play Metropolis Dawn in Multiplayer, that has more maps and a better AI >D

Great, test it out n lemme know marc. If u want us to multilayer test it, tell me when you're available.