Playing Urban assault on Ubuntu with WINE?

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
M1kkko
5P0 Air Prism
5P0 Air Prism

Re: Playing Urban assault on Ubuntu with WINE?

Post by M1kkko » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:01 pm

CuSToM_94 wrote:I Tried debug level no problem, Parasite City works too.
I don't know if you were using Mario's mod but he changed some game data and i'm playing using it no problem in parasite city soo far

about GoldStar661 "I though hardware display was enabled by default"
it was enabled by default for me
Ouch, if you don't have/can't reproduce the same issue, the chances are that Wine developers could have trouble finding it as well.

There must be something different with our setups, let's try to figure out what it might be.

What resolution are you playing on? (1024x768 or something lower than that?)
What GPU drivers are you using? (open source/proprietary?)
How did you obtain your copy of Urban assault? (I downloaded Urban Assault.rar from the site)

I have an Nvidia GPU with the proprietary drivers so I doubt that my drivers would be the issue (although that's always that possibility as well).
GoldStar611 wrote:It's still actually a bit buggy.. With crashes happening at random times during game play :shock:

Just good enough to make your frustrated when you're about to do something good and then you get a crash

Hopefully it will get better.
You're also playing with 1.7.28? with hardware accelerated mode?

What's your in-game resolution? And what kind of graphics card/drivers do you have?

CuSToM_94
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Post by CuSToM_94 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:50 pm

M1kkko wrote:
CuSToM_94 wrote:I Tried debug level no problem, Parasite City works too.
I don't know if you were using Mario's mod but he changed some game data and i'm playing using it no problem in parasite city soo far

about GoldStar661 "I though hardware display was enabled by default"
it was enabled by default for me
Ouch, if you don't have/can't reproduce the same issue, the chances are that Wine developers could have trouble finding it as well.

There must be something different with our setups, let's try to figure out what it might be.

How did you obtain your copy of Urban assault? (I downloaded Urban Assault.rar from the site)

I have an Nvidia GPU with the proprietary drivers so I doubt that my drivers would be the issue (although that's always that possibility as well).
GoldStar611 wrote:It's still actually a bit buggy.. With crashes happening at random times during game play :shock:

Just good enough to make your frustrated when you're about to do something good and then you get a crash

What's your in-game resolution? And what kind of graphics card/drivers do you have?
800x600 but in 1280x720 virtual desktop
open source drivers, I had troubles with the proprietary one
I have the ASSAULTdataonly.ISO
http://goo.gl/RknGVg
and Mario's 1.0.5 patch
http://goo.gl/cf3N12

CuSToM_94
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Post by CuSToM_94 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:52 pm

I don't actually have too much free time to play it

I'll try the intense mod soon and see how it works ;)

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:58 pm

I've tried 1024*768 UA game play in a 1024*768 emulated desktop and
800*600 UA mode in a 800*600 emulated desktop.

xserver-xorg-video-ati
I have a retail disk :)
yes, Wine version 1.7.28.
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM]
It's the Radeon 6450

I changed one setting to Draw Primitive and it seems to definitely help out..
No crashes with Draw Primitive enabled. Can anyone else confirm?
Attachments
UA-Wine-Test.png
is this a good enough test?
UA-Wine-Test.png (666.54 KiB) Viewed 989 times

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:03 pm

I've noticed that enabling DrawPrimitive helps in many graphics-related problems. I haven't yet tested UA on the newest Wine versions but this looks very promising.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

CuSToM_94
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Post by CuSToM_94 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:35 pm

have anyone thought about using Xen or KVM hypervisor to install windows and passthrough a dedicated second GPU? like having the intel that's on the processor to handle linux, and use and AMD or NVIDIA card as GPU for windows guest?

I saw even some people making 3 virtual gaming machines with 3 GPUs making like 3 system to play out of one system

Xen and KVM have near native performance virtualization

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:22 am

For a second, I thought Xen was some miracle app that was going to convert machine code into equivalent (possibly nonexistant) GPU instructions. Then I read the word hypervisor :P

Sounds like the free PC version of Parallels for Mac. Very good idea, but for such an old game I think that might be overkill -- just a tad.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:10 pm

Funny thing, now software rendering does not work properly. Switching to software is possible in the menu, but if you try to start a mission or restart UA, the screen goes black and a flood of these errors occurs in the console:

Code: Select all

fixme:d3d_surface:surface_convert_format Cannot find a conversion function from format WINED3DFMT_P8_UINT to WINED3DFMT_B5G6R5_UNORM.
Other people have also noticed this:
https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-b ... 16146.html

Hardware (?) rendering via DirectDraw HAL seems to work flawlessly when DrawPrimitive is enabled. If disabled, some graphical glitches occur, at least in the mission briefing. Videos don't play but don't cause problems either. This message is printed to the console (among others) when a video is about to play:

fixme:quartz:MPEGSplitter_query_accept MPEG-1 system streams not yet supported.
Since MPEG-1 is mentioned, converting them into other format might help but I haven't tested this. As far as I remember, the Metropolis Dawn end video is not in MPEG format.

Wine version is 1.9.1, running in 32-bit mode.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Ok, so I converted the Ghorkov intro file (kyt.mpg) into AVI. I used the old Microsoft Video 1 (aka MS-CRAM) as the video codec and some sort of PCM audio as the audio codec. There were many options for PCM audio but Microsoft was mentioned with this option (adpcm_ms) so I chose it.

ffmpeg -i kyt.mpg -vcodec msvideo1 -acodec adpcm_ms -format avi kyt.avi
Then I changed the Ghorkov intro in world.ini, and it is working! However, when the video ends, the mission briefing screen is glitched. You can still start the mission by pressing enter. When the graphics engine is reloaded, such as when the mission starts, the glitches are gone. Upscaling the video didn't help as the player automatically scales it back to 640x480. If you try to skip the video using esc, UA crashes. This also happens with the intro video.

I didn't test fullscreen yet as it's easier to handle black screens and other errors in windowed desktop mode.
Attachments
uawine_video.png
Converted Ghorkov intro movie being played on Wine
uawine_video.png (29.3 KiB) Viewed 630 times
uawine_after_video.png
Mission briefing glitched after movie
uawine_after_video.png (174.49 KiB) Viewed 630 times

CuSToM_94
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Post by CuSToM_94 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:09 pm

UPDATE
Well, the game works without problem with wine-1.7.55 on DirectDraw, had to change <software> to <primary> in "env/guid3d.def"
It doesn't work at all in software mode "gives black screen". It works fine on both windowed and fullscreen mode.
Now. I'm trying to get it working on Game Ranger on wine, I got Game Ranger working fine, but still not able to test the game for Multiplayer. One thing to note is that only TCP/IP connection option is available and it doesn't work, pressing it makes nothing. I think it might be missing dll problem.