Playing Urban assault on Ubuntu with WINE?

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Re: Playing Urban assault on Ubuntu with WINE?

Post by GoldStar611 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:29 am

russian hackers!!! just kidding. Welcome zidane! and I salute you for using IDA, that program is too much for me, I prefer Ollydbg :D

I have verified the file to be a patch of original UA.EXE :) and have happily mirrored it on the FTP at this location
http://files.metropolisdawn.com/index.php?dir=/crack

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:21 am

Hmm, sometimes game falling with MAV when i complete mission (read page from glibc address to /dev/nvidia0). Ater restarting game, mission was completed. Nevertheless i try to solve this problem too
It's bug appears only on DDraw HAL, with software all ok, but black font
合体! ライオカイザー

M1kkko
5P0 Air Prism
5P0 Air Prism

Post by M1kkko » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Wow. Incredible, it actually works. This is the best results I've got so far. Truly amazing! How did you make this?

There's still a problem though. The startup video displays (and sounds) fine, but I can't hear any sound anywhere after that. I wonder if I need to select a different sound driver or something like that?

Edit: even the introduction videos in the beginning of the training levels don't have any sound. Only the startup video has sound.

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:46 pm

Hmm, appears exceptions on GetDC, ReleaseDC and sometimes(on exiting from mission) game crashes on calling this functions(can't read memory or write).
On my notebook with Ati graphics, game freeze on other place in exe, i will try to fix it.
I use RIP version without video's. I think DShow eats your sound
合体! ライオカイザー

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:44 am

Strange. GetDC and ReleaseDC are for graphics if I remember correctly and they are "Device Context" objects.
Zidane may be correct, the intoduction video may not be exiting properly and thus still using your sound card. Try to rename the MOV folder where all the videos are located to MOV2. this way the movies will not play at all, then see if UA has sound.

M1kkko
5P0 Air Prism
5P0 Air Prism

Post by M1kkko » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Weird. Seems really interesting but, after renaming MOV folder to MOV2, I could hear the very first sound from the UI. (The 'beep' sound when I click "Single player") After that, hovering mouse over the level section doesn't make any sound, and after going back to the main menu and clicking single player again, no sound either.

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Well, what audio output used by your wine ? Needed alsa output.
And what version of wine?
合体! ライオカイザー

M1kkko
5P0 Air Prism
5P0 Air Prism

Post by M1kkko » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:19 am

I think alsa output is used. From wine audio settings I have enabled only alsa driver. Current wine version is 1.3.8

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Zidane wrote:Ok, i patch game exe, and it's run on my Arch

*img*
GREAT work Zidane! Keep it up and Linux users are finally able to play UA without any messing with Windows. :awsm: This is definitely something the UA community needs.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

M1kkko
5P0 Air Prism
5P0 Air Prism

Post by M1kkko » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:42 am

It's been a while so I thought I'd give you guys a quick update. As of today, Urban Assault seems to be playable with the latest beta version of Wine (1.3.35), no patch required.

Only software rendering works, though, and I wasn't able to get the game running on my native resolution (1920x1080 or 1680x1050) either. In fact, going up to 1024x768 caused the game to crash on my other computer.

For a couple of times I couldn't see anything during the loading screen, but I could get past it by pressing the return key.

Otherwise the game seems to perform flawlessly. I'm glad to finally see some improvement here. :awsm: