Registry Keys for UA

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Registry Keys for UA

Post by leftylink » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:41 am

This seems to be asked for at random points in time, so I figured it'd be nice to keep it somewhere handy. At least three people have asked about this at some point in time.

For some installations of UA, the Metropolis Dawn installer complains about UA not being installed, even though it plainly is. The most likely reason is that the installer looks in the registry, and for some reason or other, your UA installation did not put the registry keys where they need to be.

Here are the exported dumps of all known registry entries related to UA. You can go ahead and copy the stuff into any file with an extension of .reg and run it to merge the changes into your registry. If you know your way around Windows and know how to do this, great. Just check below for the keys you need. If you're not sure what this means, look for instructions below the registry keys.

(This is probably the most important key, and the Metropolis Dawn install has been reported to work with just this one, but if just adding this one doesn't work out, check the other two...)

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Urban Assault\1.0]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault"
"ProductID"="85564-442-3876013-34251"
"InstalledFrom"="d:\\"
"save"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\save"
"data"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\data"
"levels"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\levels"
"mov"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\data\\mov"
"mbpix"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\levels\\MBPix"
"help"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\help"
"Launched"="1"
"PID"="85564-442-3876013-34251"
"VersionType"="RetailVersion"
"InstalledGroup"="7"
"LangID"=dword:00000009
Make sure that the above paths ARE where you really installed UA. If you installed UA to a different directory, be sure to change this when you merge it into your registry.

(This key is less important - it is for multiplayer purposes for the Microsoft Gaming Zone, which doesn't exist anymore anyway)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Urban Assault]
"CommandLine"="lobby"
"CurrentDirectory"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault"
"File"="UA.exe"
"Guid"="{381f0620-fc68-11d0-8af9-0020aff04466}"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault"
Again, make sure the directory specified in CurrentDirectory and Path are actually where you installed UA.

(You probably don't need this one. This one contains UA uninstaller information. But if the other two keys do not work, do try adding this one as well.)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Urban Assault 1.0]
"DisplayName"="Microsoft Urban Assault"
"UninstallString"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\UNINSTAL.EXE\" /runtemp"
Once again make sure the file specified is actually correct.

Below are instructions for how to do this if you have no clue about the technobabble in the post. If you can merge these changes into the registry already, great. No need to keep reading. Otherwise, read on...

Open up notepad. Take the stuff in the boxes (Yes, you do need to include the line at the top that says Windows Registry Editor blah blah blah...), copy it into the file. Save it as urbanassault.reg, blahblahblah.reg, sfahdfkjasdlf.reg ... anything that ends with .reg will work. Double click the file, say "Yes" when it asks to merge changes into the registry. Hopefully that lets you install Metropolis Dawn.

Hope this helped.
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Kreptox
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Registry Keys for UA

Post by Kreptox » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:01 pm

I got a problem. Is this file in wrong folder or what??
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/problemom.png/

When i click it, it says: "Can not be imported. Error when using a register"
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/problem2j.png/

What i do? Pls help me :(

E: Problem solved!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Ok, good that you get it to work (btw, was the problem caused by missing registry read/write permissions and UAC in Win Vista/7?), but IMO the easiest way to install the expansion is just to copy all files from the installation pack plus some files from the original game folders. The registry entries are not needed at all.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Kreptox
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Kreptox » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Ormu wrote:Ok, good that you get it to work (btw, was the problem caused by missing registry read/write permissions and UAC in Win Vista/7?), but IMO the easiest way to install the expansion is just to copy all files from the installation pack plus some files from the original game folders. The registry entries are not needed at all.
I solved it when i downloaded Urban Assault.ISO and mounted it on daemon tools. Now it works great and it dont say that i have not installed full/typical version of Urban Assault. + i have Win7

Liquiddeath
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Liquiddeath » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Hey Great information! Thanks for all you do!

I am having a problem with the setup file itself. My computer doesn't respond when I try to run the setup file. In my Task manager, It shows that there is some level of activity. It shows the following in my task manager "ntvdm.exe" then it displays "wowexec.exe" and "setup.exe". I am not sure how to run the setup. I've tried using different compatibilities ( Xp, vista, NT 5.0, etc ) but still nothing different. I've used the registry keys and that didn't make a difference.

I downloaded the expansion from Metropolis Dawn. but my question Is... is there another setup.exe somewhere that may yield better results? I can play UA perfectly on my computer. I'm running windows 7 professional 86x. Any tips or possible solutions would be great. Thanks!

Liquiddeath
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Liquiddeath » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Hey I got lucky and It installed correctly. Thanks for reading my post anyways.

Sandremo
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by Sandremo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:36 am

Uh... someone care to explain what files need to be dragged from the original mission folders? I'm having a hard time trying to "install" the expansion. D: