UA units name meaning

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
Stitreggin
Firefly
Firefly

UA units name meaning

Post by Stitreggin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:17 am

Hello there

As big UA nerd, i usually use ua unite names whenever I need a nickname. Except here, sins everyone know where they are from...
For that I also try to find what they means, and well some of em i just can't . So i will post what i know, you do the rest my minions.
I was going to post the wiki links but you know how google works so.. screw it i am kinda lazeh.

Hetzel : I can only presume its that guy : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre-Jules_Hetzel . Although I can't really see a relation between the two.
Eisenhans : Well that is name, or it can be a character from a German fairytale : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_John . But between the genie like creature from the fairytale and the tank, I have hard time to figure out why they called it like that.
Bronsteijn : It can be a chess player or Trotsky. Not sure which one.
Serp : It means sickle, if you wiki sickle and try change language to a Slavic language you will get something like that. And it actually also sound a bit like that .
Zeppelin : this is a tricky one, it is actually a zeppelin, really.
Leonid : Think it come from the Spartan king Leonidas. But my google says it can also be a meteor shower...
Ostwind : an anti aircraft tank, orly? Yarly.
Knuddle : Not sure here, well i never use that nick nor cared what it means, but i think it's some kind of meatball. Germans and their meat....
Otszchko : again a misspelled word form a Slavic language, its means eye, which for once is clear why an unit is called like that (its a scout).

I skipped a lot of ua name units as they don't need any explanation, they are English ones or a bunch of numbers.

Now comes the ones that puzzles me

Mnosjetz : It sounds Slavic, it smells Slavic, but boy oh boy it means nothing I can understand.
Ormu : my google says it is an Indonesian language, but I bet my wig and armpits that it's not that.

Edit about Ormu : This may be a lil far fetched but hey, it's better than some unknown Indonesian language. I am not a big exert in the matter, but during the communist days in Poland there was a Police called ORMO ( http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ochotnicza ... watelskiej polish only...). It's not really said on the wiki, or mah polish is so bad that i can't see it. But that police was made of regular ppl that would report your behaviour to the Communist party. Stuff like being against it or trying to form an opposition party, where mostly what would mean trouble for you if you happened to be reported by the regular Joe. They could make your life miserable , or even say GTFO of here. And sins it was regular Joe that made the denunciations lots of em weren't objective at all, if we can call that objective... But I digress, for me it made sense that an ORMU scout fit what an ORMO guy would do, send info to the mother ship ofc ;d
Last edited by Stitreggin on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fra6160
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: UA units name meaning

Post by Fra6160 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Yeah, I always wodered about their names. I'm glad you made this post because I think it's interesting. And well, yes, sometimes I use some of the UA vehicles names for nicknames (for example I used Erazer for the YouTube nickname - if you want, you can find me).
THE FALL OF SDU MOD WORKS IN PROGRESS (16%) - STOPPED - ABANDONED

Download it here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20703518 ... a+Demo.rar

Grim0x
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Grim0x » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:57 pm

hmm. Interesting read ^_^
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''%'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Image''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''%''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature

pete_kaboom
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by pete_kaboom » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 am

Woah! And to think I used to think they were just r4nd0n names...

UrbanAce3
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by UrbanAce3 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:12 am

I think the Tiger is based off that tank the Germans had in WW2
UrbanAce3~
:/i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig7.gif[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]

Warhammer
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Warhammer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:24 am

What vehicles are Otszchko and Knuddle?

Fra6160
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Fra6160 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:11 pm

If I remember correctly, Otszchko is the Ormu-Scout, and Knuddle is the Firefly.
THE FALL OF SDU MOD WORKS IN PROGRESS (16%) - STOPPED - ABANDONED

Download it here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20703518 ... a+Demo.rar

garry's waffle
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by garry's waffle » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:56 am

well.. i dont know this is right

but i heard Hetzel means Attila.

The king of the Huns.. who destroyed roman empires.

but that is old word :O

Roland985
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Roland985 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:24 pm

Well it sounds a lot better than some guy's name...

Tigerhawk71
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Tigerhawk71 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:48 pm

The Dragonfly has the best name out of all of them - Lawnmower.

Does it really need explaining?
I am both Devast8tor71 from the old days of UAHQ, and Tigerhawk71.