UA units name meaning

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: UA units name meaning

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:35 pm

moswt are some german nike names.
eisenhans was a good name the developers gave ot it eisen= iron and hans for the spamibilty becasue there are a lot of german people called hans.

Hetzel is not meant attila the orginal name was metzel hetzel and metzel is german and is something liek masscre.

kunddel= german and means some knid of hug with love .

tiger= in german Tiger has the same menaing and is copied from the WWII heavy tank Tiger II.

furher unit name questions?
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

Tigerhawk71
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Tigerhawk71 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:05 am

metzel hetzel was the nickname for one of the developers.
I am both Devast8tor71 from the old days of UAHQ, and Tigerhawk71.

Roland985
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Roland985 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:44 am

Sorta like paying tribute-to a guy who is still alive! :lol: ;)

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:47 pm

kinda but i think its the meaning of the unit :)
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

Roland985
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Roland985 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 am

Tigerhawk71 wrote:The Dragonfly has the best name out of all of them - Lawnmower.

Does it really need explaining?
only to NOOBS!

To the rest of us though- Nope! ;)

garry's waffle
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by garry's waffle » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:02 pm

Eisen mean Iron in german right. maybe it eisenhans mean Schmied

and Knuddel mean Plush in german.

and the plane series of Ghrkovian 'Mrat' is based on a MiG?

so, metzel hetzel (similar pronunciation) is origin of the 'Why yak131 and mrat9 changed to Ying and Yang'?

Roland985
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Roland985 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:27 am

Could be...

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Tue May 30, 2017 6:05 pm

I was looking through the old archives of the forums today and saw this thread... How did I never notice this before? :P

I will discuss mainly about the Taerkasten unit names here since they were already covered to some extent by the original poster.
Every Taerkasten unit name's origins are derived from various branches of European names & languages. :arrow:

Phantom: English. Possibly an hommage to real-life fighter aircraft nicknames such as F-4 'Phantom' (similar to F-16 Fighting 'Falcon'), or maybe just because the plane looks very spooky! According to a developer's note, the unit was inspired by 'Batmobil' (Batmobile in English) and was originally designed as a 'glider' unit for the Resistance.

Eisenhans: German. It is a major figure in the German fairytale of the same name, who helps a prince to overcome his many hardships and obstacles; and by doing so eventually gets lifted from his own share of a curse. Otherwise the word may connote a reference to English 'Ironsides'. At least in the UK and Ireland, the official title of the fairytale was translated as 'Iron John', which is a localised version of 'Eisenhans'.

Hetzel: German or French. This name is actually quite common, I'm pretty sure I saw a person with that name when I was in Strasbourg. It is also a rather rare diminutive form of the German name 'Hermann'. But actually, this one in UA comes from the internal jokes amongst the Terratools members.

Back when UA was in development, some of the TerraTools team members had LAN parties over many different games after their work hours. Stefan usually preferred tactics of rushing others quickly so he got the play-on-words nickname of 'Metzel Hetzel' (which loosely means something like 'Slaughter Rush' or 'Massacre Rush') from his fellow developers. According to Stefan, the person who jokingly put this name into UA was Bernd Beyreuther. ;)

Bronsteijn: Dutch. This is actually a tricky one... It is a 'Dutch-stylised' version of the German-Jewish surname 'Bronstein'. Notable bearers of this surname include the birth name of Leon Trotsky(Lev Davidovich Bronstein) and a Russian chess grandmaster David Ionovich Bronstein. Incidentally, it would have been a fullly functional Dutch word if it was something like 'Bronsteen' though... :lol:

Ormu-Scout(Otschko): I will go with its original name 'Otschko' since the name Ormu was originally given to Ghor-Scout, but for some reason was transferred to be in the place of Otschko (now Ormu-Scout) in the final release. :?:

The plot thickens as in the unit scripts, the name for Ormu (now Ghor-Scout) is actually written as 'Ohrmu'; and the only clue I can think of from it is that the word must be a shortened form of the relatively rare German surname 'Ohrmund'. :?

However, in the end I share my view with Stitreggin that the word was possibly derived from ORMO; especially when considering that some of the key developers were born and raised in East Germany where various Eastern European (both secret and paramilitary) police organisations were relatively well-known to the general public. It wouldn't even be the only reference to a controlled surveillance society. Who knows if a Sulgogarian 'Little Brother' is watching you? :shock:

Anyway as for the word Otschko, it is a German-stylised spelling/pronunciation of the Russian word 'очко', which means a 'point' or an 'eye'. There is a mentioning of 'Das Auge' ('the eye' in English) under the developer's note for Ormu-Scout in the scripts as well.

Serp: Russian. 'серп', it literally means a sickle. The unit is also referred as 'Die Sichel' ('the sickle' in English) in the script file. Well, other than that not much to say here...

Leonid: Nordic or Russian. Either the word is referring to a type of meteor shower in English, or (more likely) the Russian/Ukrainian/Scandinavian version of the given name 'Leonidas' (as in Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev).

Mnosjetz: Polish. The word 'Mnosjetz' has no meaning in itself, but it is a reference to the Polish noble surname 'Mniszech'. The OP was absolutely correct about the word being Slavic. :D

Zeppelin: German. Self-explanatory... Ferdinand Adolf Heinrich August Graf von Zeppelin and his renowned airship invention. Also used by Germans for the air bombing raids over London back in WWI. :oops:

The two units below are added for Metropolis Dawn expansion pack. It is interesting to note that these two vehicles are exclusively modelled after WWII vehicle designs, rather than the widespread WWI vehicle designs used in several 'classic' Taerkasten vehicles.

Thor's Hammer: Nordic. Its script name 'Odin' is yet another direct reference to the Norse Mythology. The unit is designed after Selbstfahrlafette IV A - a German super-heavy tank destroyer & bunker buster. It is also described as a Taerkasten 'Lafette' in the scripts, in which the word is used as an abbreviation for a 'Selbstfahrlafette'; a German word for a 'self-propelled gun or artillery'.

Ostwind: German. The word itself is a direct reference to a WWII German Anti-Air tank with the exactly same name, but in UA its model and weapon are deliberately based on Russian Katyusha Rocket Launcher. This design decision was strictly intentional as the developers did not want to make Taerkastens so one-dimensional in their general concepts.

Miscellaneous things (might update more later :!: ):

Taerkasten Fortress "Smontje Broselsmund": Everything that ends with '-tje' is of Dutch origin, and Broselsmund is a composition of the German word Broesel + -mund suffix (as in Sieg'mund' or Ed'mund').

Zermalmer: This is the script name for the Taerkasten Flying Fortress gun turrets, which in German means 'Crusher'. :twisted:

Aside from TerraTools being a German company, there were several French, Dutch, and Scandinavian people involved at making Urban Assault so it's not a big surprise to see such variations are present among the unit names.

Taerkasten's profound connotation with various Central/Northern/Eastern European elements leads me to believe that their concepts and origins are chiefly inspired by the Teutonic Order; a medieval German military order who are renowned for their expeditionary campaigns of 'Northern Crusades', foundation of their monastic states (Ordensstaat) in the Baltic region, and eventually a formation of the modern Prussia.

That plus some Freemasonry/Illuminati, Esotericism/Occultism, Amish, Neo-Druidism, and Neo-Luddite movements combined then we finally have the Taerkastens... yay. :ninja: For those who are not from continental/mainland part of Europe might find some Taerkasten unit names to be unintelligible, but they are in fact quite obvious.

Oh, and by the way, Knuddel(=Firefly) is also a kind of slang, meaning something 'cuddly' as pointed out by the people above already. :) Resistance unit names in the final release do not need much explanation (animal nicknames are the stereotypical NATO convention), and many Ghorkov unit names were mostly 'obfuscated' later by Microsoft.

Talk about this 'obfuscation', the original faction name for the Ghorkov has always been 'Kyterneser'. However, people at Microsoft wanted to give something more Soviet-Russian sounding name for the faction, so their name was later changed to 'the Ghorkovs' in the final release. :idea:

Stefan took one step further from there and fully canonised the term 'Ghorkov' as an exonym used by the other factions (with the intention of denigrating their identity), whereas 'Kyterneser' as an endonym used by its own people.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:22 am

Nice detective work. :P

Could Bronsteijn's weapon name ("Bronsteijn's Neffe") give a clue about its origins if it's named after a person?
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Ormu wrote:Nice detective work. :P

Could Bronsteijn's weapon name ("Bronsteijn's Neffe") give a clue about its origins if it's named after a person?
The surname variant of Bronsteijn (with the Dutch 'ij') does exist in the Netherlands (albeit extremely rare), so it is possible that the name was listed there as a tribute for a friend or a family member from one of the developers. :P

Or perhaps... could it be that one of the developers was actually a nephew of a person with the surname 'Bronsteijn'? Now I wonder what developers had in their minds when they came up with those weapon names...
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!