Is there a recent guide for getting UA to run on modern operating systems?

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
yargum
Firefly
Firefly

Is there a recent guide for getting UA to run on modern operating systems?

Post by yargum » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Sorry if this is a redundant topic, but like the title says, is there a guide for getting this game to run on Windows 7 /8 /10?

I've found various links to iso files and the like, though I haven't had the chance to try them out yet. Is there anything I should know before attempting to run them? My disc from years ago has long since disappeared (it came bundled with a Sidewinder joystick).

Any advice is appreciated!

CuSToM_94
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Re: Is there a recent guide for getting UA to run on modern operating systems?

Post by CuSToM_94 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:36 am

I'll quote this message by pcsx which is stickied on the Discord channel. BTW, you can join UA Discord here: https://discord.gg/NgrAz7R
Well, in the end I gave up recovering my old forum account. I can't seem to retrieve it cause I forgot most details, and I don't really feel like making new registration just to start a fuss on a new thread over there. Plus their FTP server seems heavily protected from external access (from what I see) anyway so I can expect it will take much longer to get my files there. Instead I'll just upload it to Mediafire for now. If anyone can put the file into FTP server please do it.

After all my purpose is to distribute vanilla/unmodded version of standalone UA:Source files. If people have personal questions or problems about running specific mods on UA:Source then they can always ask on their own at the forum threads and get more specific answers. I only care about the proper creation and distribution of the official and original UA and MD contents in a quickly accessible package form.

I also skimmed through many UA:Source relevant threads on the forums to make sure all the functionality of the latest UA:Source version are included in this package. The files are 100% clean and original, and it includes a text file with a short description about running MD there by adding new shortcuts.

If you find any error in it please report so I can fix it. Btw, the movie files are not included because they take up tons of spaces and also currently UA:Source does not support in-game movies anyways.

Here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8p6lvqs3r ... Source.rar

With this package available I expect every general file request done toward UA:Source will be redirected to this file package first, unless the request has been specifically made for the "modded" versions of the game files. At the same time, I think it'll be a good idea to link the UA:Source thread on the forum to here so there'll be no mistake or the bias of information.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Some common problems and possible workarounds are listed in the wiki:
http://wiki.metropolisdawn.com/windows_tweaks

Using UA_source instead of the original is a good way to solve most problems on modern systems.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1589
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:18 pm

I will also add that installing to C:/Program Files or C:/Program Files (x86) will create problems and prevent the game from running.