UA:Source with MD

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
Vorenus
Firefly
Firefly

UA:Source with MD

Post by Vorenus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 am

Hello all,

Firstly, much thanks to Zidane especially for making UA:Source; I spent hours trying to make the original game work in Windows 8.1 and even with a virtual machine but had no success. Source had me playing with no issues in minutes. I've also managed to install on previous OSes using the information on this board, so thanks to everyone else for their fixes, files, and ideas.

I didn't want to clog the Source thread with a help question, so I wanted to ask here just how to play the MD expansion campaigns using UA:Source. I've tried copying the UA:Source files to the UA/MD folders and vice versa but it's not working. I'm not sure what else to do to get it running so figured I would ask here.

Thanks!

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: UA:Source with MD

Post by Zidane » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:55 am

Does original game (ua_xp.exe) run on this installation of MD?
Also, does MD installed in the same dir with UA data files, because it's need core game.

Log files in env directory may help.
合体! ライオカイザー

Vorenus
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Vorenus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 pm

A fresh install of UA followed by MD works. The base game needs some tweaking. but the expansions work using Taerkast and Ghorkov shortcuts for entrance rather than directly launching ua_xp.exe. I can get MD to launch into either campaign, but I'm running into the old issue of hardware mode rendering poorly vs. software mode having bugged helicopters. Since there's no heli-patch for MD (at least, not that I found. I'll feel foolish if there is and I missed it!) I tried various combinations of MD/Source files.

For clarity, I have two install locations: One is the directory from which I'm playing the base game using UA:Source and works perfectly. The other is a separate directory where I've installed the base UA game, then MD, then tried to copy in the UA:Source files and find some configuration to force UA:Source to read the Ghorkov or Taerkast campaign files rather than the original game. I assumed you did this by either adding MD files to the UA:Source directory or replacing the base env and other folders with Ghor_env and other Ghorkov data files, but neither method seems to be working.

I think I've broken something by putting too many things in the same folder or trying to force Source to read MD files using the wrong method.
assign.txt wrote:;
; Path definitions for YPA
; ========================
;

begin_assign
data = dataxp ; read only
save = Ghorsave ; read/write
help = help ; read only
mov = data:mov ; read only
levels = levelsxp ; read only
mbpix = levelsxp:mbpix ; read only
locale = localexp ; Stefan eingefügt
script = data:scripts ; Stefan eingefügt
end
ypa_log.txt wrote:YPA General Log
---------------
gfx.engine: no display driver name given!
uaOpenFile('env\sdlJoy.txt','r') failed!
input.engine: WARNING: no Timer driver defined in prefs file.
input.engine: WARNING: no Wimp driver defined in prefs file.
input.engine: WARNING: no Keyboard driver defined in prefs file.
sub_412038: Couldn't open gfx engine!Nucleus shutdown:
__AllocCount = 0
__AllocSize = 0
__AllocMax = 0
__FOpenCount = 13

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:03 am

Looks like some ini file(nucleus.ini or another) is missing or not correct.
For run MD you must use same method - use command line arguments. You can view what arguments setted for ghor and taer in created link file on desktop or in start menu. You can do it for ua:source same way - create link file and add command line argument.
合体! ライオカイザー

Vorenus
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Vorenus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:09 am

That did the trick! I had tried the command line method and didn't get anything. You were right, somehow I never copied the nucleus.ini over. Pasted that in and it ran immediately. Thanks again for the fix!