Saved game, now it asks me to insert CD! Already tried patch!

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
hornet57
Firefly
Firefly

Saved game, now it asks me to insert CD! Already tried patch!

Post by hornet57 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:48 am

Hi everyone

I got the UA-xp patch with the helicopter update. I saved a game in-game and now I can't play any other levels! It asks that I insert the CD, but it is already inserted! I am guessing that saving the game has caused an issue. Is there a way that I can delete the in-game save? I don't want to delete my overall progress, just the live save that I made. Hopefully that does the trick!

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Saved game, now it asks me to insert CD! Already tried patch!

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Are you playing Metropolis Dawn Expansion Pack for Urban Assault? Ua_xp.exe is an executable for the official expansion of Urban Assault; and while it could be used in place of the original .exe, some things may not work properly during the campaigns progress.

The game constantly asking for a CD is not normal, and I suspect there are more underlying problems to your current issues. Regarding this matter, I have covered extensively in your other thread.

The file that stores the saved game data is '0.sgm', and can be located under "*your Urban Assault directory*\SAVE\*your user profile folder*". The savegame files are perfectly safe to delete but I'm not sure if it could be a permanent solution to your problems.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

hornet57
Firefly
Firefly

Post by hornet57 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:51 am

For some reason I was not able to find the save file in the location you had mentioned. Perhaps it is hidden?

I want to play the original campaign. I have it on CD. It's a brand new copy I made. The UA-xp patch worked fine until I saved mid-game. Which .exe would you recommend for playing the original campaign?

I'll try mounting the game to see if that works instead.

Edit:

When I try to mount the game, I have the same problem I had earlier with the red graphics. It won't let me modify the mounted nucleus file. Any suggestions please?

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:56 pm

c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Urban Assault\save is the default save game path (if I remember correctly)

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:48 am

This is very confusing... From your descriptions, it sounds like nearly everything about the game seems to be working in an abnormal way.

hornet57 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:51 am
I want to play the original campaign. I have it on CD. It's a brand new copy I made. The UA-xp patch worked fine until I saved mid-game.
Could you elaborate on how this CD was 'made'? Is it a retail copy of the game, or simply a burnt disc with only game data stored in it? If it is the latter, then it would not qualify as a proper 'CD' requested by the game, and you should also have to consider possible defects in integrity of the files stored in it.

The game will only recognise official game CDs with CD-keys in order to install and play the game, and the CD image files from our FTP server will be sufficient.

hornet57 wrote:
Which .exe would you recommend for playing the original campaign?
For determining which .exe fix to use, the UA.exe replacement should be used. I don't understand why the .exe fix for the original game didn't worked for you, since all .exe fixes had undergone exactly same method to rectify the helicopter glitch.

Otherwise as I suggested already in the other thread, you could try to change the bytes manually on your own with a hex-editor. The instruction is here.

hornet57 wrote:
I'll try mounting the game to see if that works instead.

Edit:

When I try to mount the game, I have the same problem I had earlier with the red graphics. It won't let me modify the mounted nucleus file. Any suggestions please?
You should never attempt to modify the game files stored in a CD image directly! Have you installed Urban Assault on your computer via SETUP.exe (Urban Assault installer file) before playing the game?

You must properly install the game via installer first -it is essential- and then use/modify the installed files (such as editing NUCELUS.ini or applying .exe fixes) created at the installation directory after the process is done. The data in CD image files are directly ripped from the full game CD, and therefore the installation is absolutely imperative before playing.

If you can't save changes after editing files, check if the files are set to 'Read-only'. It is common for files stored in CD/USB to be automatically set to Read-only for good reasons. But as I mentioned, please avoid modifying files stored inside the CD images directly!

P.S. GoldStar, I have taken some liberties and recalibrated structures of the helicopter patch section at Metropolis Dawn FTP to contain a new file with more comprehensive contents. I hope it does not collide with your intentions.
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:22 pm

The changes you've made to the files section looks great. Thanks for your continued help ;)

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm

The recommended way to install the game is to use the official installer which is on the CD (or CD image...), as instructed. It is the least error-prone method.

Do not install UA into Program Files folder if you are using Windows Vista or anything newer. UAC will interfere if you do so. Install it somewhere where you have full unrestricted permissions. See this for more information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Acco ... l#Features
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

hornet57
Firefly
Firefly

Post by hornet57 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:01 am

I gave up trying to fix things and I uninstalled the game. I reinstalled the game in a different location instead of Program Files. Thanks, Ormu, that seems to have helped. I mounted the disk image and I am running the game off of that. I am currently running it with the UA_xp patch and everything is working correctly for now! So far I have been able to play through about 1/3 of the missions in the game and have had no errors whatsoever. Hopefully it keeps working!