Please Help! Windows 10 Issues- Red and black colors!

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
hornet57
Firefly
Firefly

Please Help! Windows 10 Issues- Red and black colors!

Post by hornet57 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:46 am

Hi everyone

I've dusted off UE and I want to play it again! I installed it on my computer, but when I play the game all the colors are red and black. It makes the game completely unplayable. UE is one of my favorite childhood games and any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have played around with the compatibility settings to the best of my ability. I have tried adjusting the video settings in the options menu in the game, but whenever I go to play a mission it reverts back to the red and black colors. It seems to happen whenever a video plays, like the tutorial vids. I tried disabling the videos, but then the game just asks me to insert the CD.

I also tried playing the game using DXwnd to solve the color issues but could not get the mouse to work properly.

Please help!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Please Help! Windows 10 Issues- Red and black colors!

Post by Ormu » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:01 am

How did you disable the videos? The recommended method is to edit the nucleus.ini file, but disabling videos should not affect the CD check anyway. Perhaps the CD check is performed only after the video has ended...

There are various ways to circumvent the CD check such as using a CD image as a virtual drive.

Another possible, perhaps better, solution is to use UA_source. It resolves many problems related to modern systems but it may have its own bugs and it doesn't yet have all features of the original game.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1589
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:25 am

Welcome hornet57. I also have had bad experiences with W10. Either using a virtual machine like virtual box with an older version of windows or UA_Source is probably your best solution

hornet57
Firefly
Firefly

Post by hornet57 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:15 am

I got it to work! I modified the Nucleus file. Can't believe how simple that was! Now I have to deal with the helicopter problem. Other than that is seems to work great.

Thank you so much! I'm so happy I can play this game again! Been playing the UA campaign for 3 hours now!

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:48 pm

hornet57 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:15 am
Now I have to deal with the helicopter problem.
The helicopter problem is fixed in UA_Source however I do recall seeing some bytes that can be changed in the .EXE to fix it. I'll see if I can get that an updated ua.exe in the files section

[edit] see this: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1444&p=15842&hilit ... tch#p15842 [/edit]

hornet57
Firefly
Firefly

Post by hornet57 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:32 am

I tried the patch for the helicopter but now it asks me to insert the CD when it is already inserted! I have tried the UA_xp patch and that works, but it doesn't resolve the helicopter issue. Is there a EXE file that has both fixes?

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Hello hornet57, welcome to the Stoudson Corporation forums.

None of the processes described in this thread will directly affect CD verification performed by the game. So I tentatively assume there might be another fundamental problem that is causing your issues.

First of all, is your Urban Assault CD in a good condition? Most damaged or scratched CDs may not be identified properly at the inside of optical drives.

How and where have you installed Urban Assault on your Windows 10 computer? UA is very registry sensitive and sometimes the game will not function properly due to a simple registry information corruption/mismatch. But I do not know if your CD problem is actually caused by such instances. As Ormu suggested, mounting a disk image file into a virtual drive via CD emulators is definitely worth trying.

You may download one from our FTP repository; I recommend UASSAULT *.mdf & *.mds CD image files. With this method, there is a chance that the in-game music may not be working. But this can be fixed by swapping the letter of your mounted virtual drive with your physical drive number. (Apparently UA reads its CD audio only from the first drive letter.)

hornet57 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:15 am
Now I have to deal with the helicopter problem.
By the helicopter problem, are you referring to a glitch where AI helicopters do not obey orders and spinning at the same spot?

All .exe helicopter fixes will unconditionally work when overwritten properly (i.e. UA.exe replacing UA.exe; not Ua_xp.exe or ua_trial.exe replacing UA.exe), and they will not interfere with CD authentication in any ways either. I have my own retail copy of UA game CD as well and never faced such a problem before.

But it is possible that the procedures might be different on Windows 10. My Win 10 ultrabook does not have physical CD drive attached to it so I can't confirm myself about it as of now. You could also try manually modifying the bytes with a hex-editor on your own; the process is identical to all types of Urban Assault executables.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;----------------------------------------------------------

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!