UA:Source

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: UA:Source

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Zidane, I do not know if this has been reported already, but I have encountered a very strange problem with helicopters. Today I had some free time to play around with UA:Source, and the first-person helicopter controls are completely broken in the recent builds.

Apparently this helicopter control problem is yet another bug that had been newly introduced since build 0.93-4, alongside the knockback bug which I can vouch for its confirmed presence (tested with a vanilla Myko Crusher and compared the results in different versions, namely 0.93-3 and 0.93-4).

Currently, helicopters are operating as if they are unable to perform any horizontal shifts properly when the helicopters are tilted forward. Instead, they will be constantly gaining altitude with 'exaggerated' vertical thrust towards the zenith at full throttle.

Regardless of individual physical properties of helicopters, all helicopters are now required to face nearly perpendicular towards the ground directly below in order to gain forward momentum while maintaining their altitudes.

It looks like AI-controlled helicopters are only partially affected by this same problem; otherwise they do not seem to have any problem at all in most situations (as their behaviours are distinguished by separate control modules).

Maybe it was caused by minor typos or logical errors? Perhaps this deviation might connote a small correlation with the anomalous interactions between weapon collisions and unit knockbacks?

Incidentally, I always had a feeling that the helicopter controls in UA:Source (regardless of versions) are slightly different from the original UA, especially when they are altering bearings via rudder inputs.

In the original UA, the helicopters had 'combined' banking manoeuvres (to compensate the lack of ailerons) which allowed helicopters to tilt their fuselages towards the left and right sides when changing directions and courses. But in UA:Source, these 'auxiliary' rolling movements during yaw controls have been greatly diminished, if not almost non-existent.

As a result, the helicopter manoeuvres in UA:Source tend to be much more steady; while not very fluid and agile as they were in the original game. I am curious if it was purposely intended to facilitate and recalibrate helicopter controls (e.g. in order to prevent helicopters from flipping inversely under user controls so easily), or could it be a product of something else that I fail to notice?

However, the mentioned differences are very subtle and do not greatly affect the gameplay very much, so these questions of mine can be entirely disregarded.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:05 am

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:20 pm
Zidane, I do not know if this has been reported already, but I have encountered a very strange problem with helicopters. Today I had some free time to play around with UA:Source, and the first-person helicopter controls are completely broken in the recent builds.

Apparently this helicopter control problem is yet another bug that had been newly introduced since build 0.93-4, alongside the knockback bug which I can vouch for its confirmed presence (tested with a vanilla Myko Crusher and compared the results in different versions, namely 0.93-3 and 0.93-4).

Currently, helicopters are operating as if they are unable to perform any horizontal shifts properly when the helicopters are tilted forward. Instead, they will be constantly gaining altitude with 'exaggerated' vertical thrust towards the zenith at full throttle.

Regardless of individual physical properties of helicopters, all helicopters are now required to face nearly perpendicular towards the ground directly below in order to gain forward momentum while maintaining their altitudes.

It looks like AI-controlled helicopters are only partially affected by this same problem; otherwise they do not seem to have any problem at all in most situations (as their behaviours are distinguished by separate control modules).

Maybe it was caused by minor typos or logical errors? Perhaps this deviation might connote a small correlation with the anomalous interactions between weapon collisions and unit knockbacks?

Incidentally, I always had a feeling that the helicopter controls in UA:Source (regardless of versions) are slightly different from the original UA, especially when they are altering bearings via rudder inputs.

In the original UA, the helicopters had 'combined' banking manoeuvres (to compensate the lack of ailerons) which allowed helicopters to tilt their fuselages towards the left and right sides when changing directions and courses. But in UA:Source, these 'auxiliary' rolling movements during yaw controls have been greatly diminished, if not almost non-existent.

As a result, the helicopter manoeuvres in UA:Source tend to be much more steady; while not very fluid and agile as they were in the original game. I am curious if it was purposely intended to facilitate and recalibrate helicopter controls (e.g. in order to prevent helicopters from flipping inversely under user controls so easily), or could it be a product of something else that I fail to notice?

However, the mentioned differences are very subtle and do not greatly affect the gameplay very much, so these questions of mine can be entirely disregarded.
After long editing of save file, finally got a repetition of the bug with knockback and realized that this bug has already been fixed in the current version of the source code

This two bug should be fixed with this

Also in this exe replaced missiles list with normal std::list. If this exe crash in situations when do not crash on 0.93-5 - please report.
合体! ライオカイザー

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Thank you very much for providing the proficient solution as always, Zidane!

The new executable replacement for the build 0.93-5 has effectively rectified the anomalies with weapon knockbacks and user-occupied helicopter controls.

Now I will check for missiles and will report back promptly should any irregulars are to be found.
;
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:34 am

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Excellent pointing!
Found this! Two matrix multiplications by x/z rotations in "local" (rotMat = rotate(Z|X) * rotMat) and then by y in "global" ( rotMat = rotMat * rotate(Z|X) ). I just wrote it as 3 "local". This was due to "in place" math(were used copies of same functions for different parts of game engine) practiced in Urban Assault.

This is fixed version.

Also it's now with new std::list. Actually my commits with std::list does not joined in previous build.
合体! ライオカイザー

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:50 am

Very impressive! Now helicopters can perform all the complex manoeuvres naturally as they could back in the original game! On top of that, the movements and aiming of AI helicopters are also more reactive and graceful than ever (especially in dense urban areas with many obstacles).

Truly magnificent work, Zidane!
;
;

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 am

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:50 am
Very impressive! Now helicopters can perform all the complex manoeuvres naturally as they could back in the original game! On top of that, the movements and aiming of AI helicopters are also more reactive and graceful than ever (especially in dense urban areas with many obstacles).

Truly magnificent work, Zidane!
First of all, this is your merit, because you found this bug and report it.
合体! ライオカイザー

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Added UA_source in openhub.net and got this info, hehe.
合体! ライオカイザー

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:19 am

Estimated Effort
23 person-years
I believe that is correct! The devs were working for many years on the Amiga platform

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:54 am

GoldStar611 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:19 am
Estimated Effort
23 person-years
I believe that is correct! The devs were working for many years on the Amiga platform
Yeah, and writing code from scratch I took only about a year. In another project for the year I wrote even more code.
In any case, I was surprised at this project cost.

Also original code of UA is bigger.
合体! ライオカイザー

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 pm

New build 0.94-1
Added ForceFeedback support, now it's VIBRATE!

P.S. I was surprised what windows standard driver for generic noname ps-like pads are very poor(no support of FF or buggy when you download and install it) while in Linux it's works as it should be.
合体! ライオカイザー