Metropolisdawn Urban Assault expansion help

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
john1352
Ghargoil 3
Ghargoil 3

Metropolisdawn Urban Assault expansion help

Post by john1352 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:52 am

I downloaded the Urban Assault expansion from metropolis dawn but i can't install it. When I try to install I get a message saying: "There is no copy of Urban Assault installed on this machine. Please install the 'typical' or 'full' version of urban assault."

I have a downloaded and cracked version of urban assault (from a different site) which doesn't have most sounds and no movies. Is there any way that I can get it to work?

Edit: Would downloading another version of urban assault from metropolis dawn work?
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/FalconUB.png[/img]

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Re: Metropolisdawn Urban Assault expansion help

Post by leftylink » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:09 am

[June 23 2010- This post is now immortalized in Registry Keys for UA].

Hey john1352,

I think the installer is checking the registry to determine whether UA is installed. You'll want to edit your registry to get the installer to think that you've installed Urban Assault.

I am giving you the exported dumps of all registry entries of mine that I can find that are related to UA. You can go ahead and copy the stuff into any file with an extension of .reg and run it to merge the changes into your registry. If you know your way around Windows and know how to do this, great. Just check below for the keys I think you need. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, look for instructions at the very bottom of my post.

(This is probably the most important key, but if just adding this one doesn't work out, check the other two...)

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Urban Assault\1.0]
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault"
"ProductID"="85564-442-3876013-34251"
"InstalledFrom"="d:\\"
"save"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\save"
"data"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\data"
"levels"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\levels"
"mov"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\data\\mov"
"mbpix"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\levels\\MBPix"
"help"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\help"
"Launched"="1"
"PID"="85564-442-3876013-34251"
"VersionType"="RetailVersion"
"InstalledGroup"="7"
"LangID"=dword:00000009
Make sure that the above paths ARE where you really installed UA. If you installed UA to a different directory, be sure to change this when you merge it into your registry.

(I think this key is less important - it is for multiplayer purposes for the Microsoft Gaming Zone, which doesn't exist anymore anyway)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Urban Assault]
"CommandLine"="lobby"
"CurrentDirectory"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault"
"File"="UA.exe"
"Guid"="{381f0620-fc68-11d0-8af9-0020aff04466}"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault"
Again, make sure the directory specified in CurrentDirectory and Path are actually where you installed UA.

(I doubt you need this one. This one contains UA uninstaller information. But if the other two keys do not work, do try adding this one as well.)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Urban Assault 1.0]
"DisplayName"="Microsoft Urban Assault"
"UninstallString"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Games\\Urban Assault\\UNINSTAL.EXE\" /runtemp"
Once again make sure the file specified is actually correct.

If this works, let me know. If not, let me know too and I'll try to figure something else out for ya.

Below are instructions for how to do this if you have no clue about the technobabble in the post. If you can merge these changes into the registry already, great. No need to keep reading. Otherwise, read on...

Open up notepad. Take the stuff in the boxes (Yes, you do need to include the line at the top that says Windows Registry Editor blah blah blah...), copy it into the file. Save it as urbanassault.reg, blahblahblah.reg, sfahdfkjasdlf.reg ... anything that ends with .reg will work. Double click the file, say "Yes" when it asks to merge changes into the registry. Hopefully that lets you install Metropolis Dawn.

Hope this helped.
Last edited by leftylink on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Blah blah, update.
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

john1352
Ghargoil 3
Ghargoil 3

Post by john1352 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:07 am

Thanks, it worked with the first one you gave me. :D

john1352
Ghargoil 3
Ghargoil 3

Post by john1352 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:25 am

Another problem. The expansion requires a cd to play the missions, I can start both of the expansion parts (ghorkov and taerkastan) but I can't play the single player missions. Is there a crack for it? Or a different way to get around it ?

Alfa
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Alfa » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:00 am

john1352 wrote:Another problem. The expansion requires a cd to play the missions, I can start both of the expansion parts (ghorkov and taerkastan) but I can't play the single player missions. Is there a crack for it? Or a different way to get around it ?
Mount the Urban Assault .ISO you downloaded from metropolisdawn.com into a virtual drive. I use Daemon Tools.
://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/AlfaGoon/GIMP/cannabitchsig.gif?t=1226184091[/img]

john1352
Ghargoil 3
Ghargoil 3

Post by john1352 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:30 am

I can't find the .ISO file, I think I saw one in the folder earlier, but i can't find it now, not even when I do a search for it.

Fra6160
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Fra6160 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:38 am

The ISO is here: http://www.metropolisdawn.com/files/ind ... 2Fgame/iso

Very simple to find.
THE FALL OF SDU MOD WORKS IN PROGRESS (16%) - STOPPED - ABANDONED

Download it here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20703518 ... a+Demo.rar

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:57 pm

First of all, I'm glad I was able to help you install Metropolis Dawn. Now about your CD problem - as others have suggested, mounting the ISO is probably the only solution.

If someone is feeling lucky, one could try to mess with the UA_XP.exe executable with a disassembler/debugger to try to circumvent the CD requirement (I believe this is how No-CD Cracks are made) I don't know if I know enough about machine language or assembly to actually try to attempt that, but it is an idea.
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

john1352
Ghargoil 3
Ghargoil 3

Post by john1352 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:00 pm

Just before i download the .iso I'll try making an empty file called "urban assault.iso" and mounting it to see whether it gets fooled.

EDIT: UASSAULT.iso, not urban assault.iso and I just realized that you can't mount an empty file lol :lol: , so i'll try filling it up with 1s.

Alfa
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Alfa » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:09 pm

john1352 wrote:Just before i download the .iso I'll try making an empty file called "urban assault.iso" and mounting it to see whether it gets fooled.

EDIT: UASSAULT.iso, not urban assault.iso and I just realized that you can't mount an empty file lol :lol: , so i'll try filling it up with 1s.
The easiest way to get it working is to download the .ISO and mount it using Daemon Tools. You'll save time and nerves, trust me on this.
://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/AlfaGoon/GIMP/cannabitchsig.gif?t=1226184091[/img]