Questioning of my ideas

Talk about other topics that do not pertain to Urban Assault here.
Petri
Firefly
Firefly

Questioning of my ideas

Post by Petri » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Hello Urban Assault forum

The game is very good. Force feedback and the sounds are a big part of it. I have noticed couple of things.

- I wonder why it is possible to move crosshair with thumb control in joystick in tank but not in helicopter. It would be good to aim below.

- It would be good to be able to twist tanks cannon with twisting the joystick. Now it is the same as leaning it right/left. I mean to be able to stafe. To be able to see 90 degrees left/right while moving straight.

- Finaly I think it would be good to not have to use mouse at all. Now I have put map on hot key on joystick and also put squadron manager to hot key. Map is streched across all screen. I see through it. What I say is that if it would be possible to move cursor with thumb control and choose its speed with throttle control less mouse would be needed.

What would come into your minds of this?

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Re: Questioning of my ideas

Post by GoldStar611 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:17 am

1) I believe this is real life emulation where a tank has more ability to move it's turrets but on a plane, the guns are in a fixed position.

2) this was possible a long time ago by configuring the "point of view hat" differently in the microsoft sidewinder joystick settings.

3) those was a big problem for me too, so I stopped using the joystick at some time :(

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:37 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:17 am
2) this was possible a long time ago by configuring the "point of view hat" differently in the microsoft sidewinder joystick settings.
Wait, is it really possible to turn the camera as well? I know it's possible to move tank crosshair sideways when using a joystick but I thought you can't change the view angle which is always forwards.

By the way, if you use a 3-axis joystick there's another benefit - you can turn twice as fast as with keyboard.

What really annoys me is the fact that AI planes can aim downwards but the player cannot. This feature was probably added to give them better ability to attack ground targets, but it's annoying as you can't do it. This doesn't seem to apply to helicopters.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Ormu wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:37 pm
By the way, if you use a 3-axis joystick there's another benefit - you can turn twice as fast as with keyboard.
It's possible to perform this trick with mouse control mode activated as well. :P By pressing down a direction key while dragging the mouse towards the same direction and you will turn twice as fast than normal.

Ormu wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:37 pm
What really annoys me is the fact that AI planes can aim downwards but the player cannot. This feature was probably added to give them better ability to attack ground targets, but it's annoying as you can't do it. This doesn't seem to apply to helicopters.
Actually, AI aircrafts (both planes and helicopters) can only adjust their attack angles more widely when attacking sector objects, but not against bact (unit) targets.

This is simply my assumption, but I presume AI helicopters could fire their weapons with much broader angles against enemy units as well during the earlier development stage of UA (just like they still do against sector targets), but developers probably phased this ability out because it would have made AI helicopters too powerful against other units. This might also explain why some helicopters are designed to fly at very low altitudes and possess unusually slow AI fire rate.

Anyhow, as a matter of fact the current helicopter AI in the final version is undeniably the most awkward unit type AI present in the game. :cry:
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;----------------------------------------------------------

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Petri
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Petri » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Hei,

I had thinking sensations on the subject.

1) I think that tank should be able to turn 360 while moving straight. Joustick left would start potential 360 rotation while keeping crosshair in screen center. Z-axis twist would affect the rolling direction of two lines of wheel: in left turn right wheels turn faster and in right turn vice versa.

2) I played Urban Assault with my friend in a so called co-op mode. I had joystick he had keyboard and mouse. It is crazy to try to play two games at the same time. I will play the game having left hand on mouse and right on force feedback joystick on my lap. Throttle will be on mouse-wheel.

3) I thought it could be good to have above the clouds altitude. Camera would follow the bomb. Higher the bomb is dropped the longer the bomber-plane have to be vulnerable.

How does it sound?